Large birthday mud cake
- 500g butter
- 400g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 4 cups caster sugar
- 3 cups water
- 2 tsps instant coffee
- 1 ½ cup plain flour
- 1 ½ cup self-raising flour
- ½ cup cocoa
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
In a saucepan, heat the butter, dark chocolate, sugar, water and instant coffee until all ingredients are dissolved. Set aside to cool.
Preheat oven to 150°C. Line a large cake tin 35cm x 20cm with baking paper and set aside.
Sift the flours and cocoa into a mixing bowl and add the cooled chocolate mix. Mix until all ingredients are combined.
Add the eggs and mix well.
Pour into the tin and bake for 1 ½ hrs. Cool and then ice.
- You don't need to buy a fancy cake tin for this recipe, I used a baking dish I bought from the supermarket.
- This cake will feed the masses and is great on the budget. You can make this cake for under $20.
You can ice this cake with buttercream icing, ganache or Royal icing.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.
Find more party food ideas:
Browse all basic cakes and icing: