Homemade sausage rolls
30 small rolls
- 4 sheets frozen puff pastry
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- ½ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 500g chicken mince
- 500g pork mince
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 180°C. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
Place pastry sheets on bench to defrost. Place carrots, onion and parsley in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
Add mince, salt and pepper and puree until smooth. I did this in batches, combined all ingredients in a large bowl and did the final mixing with (clean) hands.
Divide the mince mixture into eight equal portions.
Slice each sheet of pastry in half. Place a portion of mince on the middle of the long-edge of the pastry and pat the mince into a long sausage shape.
Brush the sides of the pastry with egg, peel the pastry away from the plastic backing and fold the bottom edge over the mince and then roll it over to seal. Do this as firmly as possible so the pastry is tight and neat — makes for better presentation.
Brush the top of the pastry with egg and then cut each roll cross-ways into about 8 small rolls.
Place rolls on prepared trays about 2cm apart. Bake for 20 minutes until pastry is puffy and golden and the mince is cooked through.
- These are really quick and easy to make and you know what is in them!
- Great for parties, make them the day before, cool, store overnight in the fridge and then reheat before serving.
- They were a big hit at my nephew’s recent birthday (with both the kids and adults!) … can’t believe he’s seven!
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.
Find more party food ideas:
- First birthday cakes
- 15 birthday cakes for girls
- 15 birthday cakes for boys
- Party food favourites
- Birthday party finger food
- Pretty party food ideas
- Party food for boys
- Best tips for making a birthday cake
Browse all savoury party food recipes: