Beef eye fillet salad
This salad works well as a main dish, or as a Boxing Day recovery meal using leftover Beef fillet. The beef can be cooked the day before, leaving the oven free for the salmon or turkey.
- 1kg beef fillet
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 150g baby rocket or spinach leaves, rinsed and dried
- 125g semi-dried tomatoes
- 50g parmesan cheese, shaved
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 cup (250mL) sour cream
- 2 tablespoons horseradish cream
Preheat the oven to 220C. Coat the beef fillet with the oil and rub with pepper and salt. Heat a large ovenproof non-stick frypan over a high heat and seal beef on all sides; this takes 2-3 minutes. Transfer pan to oven and roast for 15 minutes for rare, 25 for medium. Cover with foil, rest for 10 minutes and slice thinly.Arrange salad leaves on a large serving platter, top with beef, tomatoes and pine nuts.Combine the sour cream with horseradish (use more if you prefer a hotter dressing) and warm in the microwave for 30 seconds. Drizzle dressing over salad and top with parmesan.
- I have substituted good quality mayonnaise for the sour cream and it works just as well.
- If you have cooked the beef in advance, put slices on a baking tray, cover with foil and reheat in a 150C oven.