Makes 48 small squares
This recipe is dedicated to my dearest, loveliest Elizabeth (chief bridesmaid extraordinaire), not for being the source of the recipe, but for being its most dedicated connoisseur.
Lemon slice, although not especially Christmas-y, is quickly prepared and its lemon-y taste is a refreshing change from the generally very rich, sweet treats that abound during the festive season.
- 2 x 200g packets rich shortbread biscuits
- 1 x 400g tin condensed milk
- 2 cups coconut
- 120g butter
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 30g butter
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
Butter a 20cm x 30cm slice tin with butter. Use a food processor to crush the biscuits, this takes 2-3 batches. Place crushed biscuits, coconut, lemon rind and condensed milk in a large bowl. Melt butter and add to other ingredients, mix well. Press mixture into tray.To make icing, sift icing sugar into bowl and stir in butter. Add lemon juice one tablespoon at a time until icing is a smooth, spreadable consistency. Spread slice with icing, refrigerate until firm and then slice into squares or triangles. Store in the fridge.
- This recipe can be made in stages, which is especially handy in the busy lead up to Christmas. Refrigerate after pressing into tray, then ice when you get a chance, return to fridge and then slice up at the next opportunity.