Rocket pomegranate & goat's cheese salad
I have the honour of being godmother to Katrine's daughter Alana. It was at the christening lunch that I first tasted this amazing salad, whilst balancing my own baby daughter on my lap. The pomegranate and rocket are crisp and slightly bitter, a lovely contrast to the creamy goats cheese. And this salad continues the Christmas green/red theme!
- 150g baby rocket, rinsed and dried
- 1 ripe pomegranate
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 100g goats cheese
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 level teaspoon sea salt
- 1 level teaspoon pepper
In a large salad bowl, add rocket, red onion and crumble in the goats cheese. To get the pomegranate seeds out, cut the top out of the pomegranate, face the hole away from you into a bowl and use both hands to break the pomegranate in half. Most of the seeds should pop out into the bowl; use your fingers to flick out the remaining seeds. Wipe pomegranate juice from hands, bench and other surfaces (!) and add the pomegranate seeds to salad.To make the dressing, combine balsamic vinegar, oil, salt and pepper in a small glass jar. Screw on lid and shake well to combine.Toss the salad with the dressing just before serving.
- Substitute baby spinach or other salad greens for the rocket if you prefer.
- The salad can be prepared in advance, covered with plastic wrap and stored in the fridge. Dress just before serving.
- At the christening, the salad was a wonderful match for rich quiches and savoury tarts.