Tomato, basil salad with parmesan croutons
This salad is a wonderful red, green and gold display of Christmas colours. The parmesan croutons add a great crunch. It pairs very well with both the salmon and beef mains.
- 4 vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1 punnet red grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 4 slices mixed grain bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 level teaspoon sea salt
- 1 level teaspoon pepper
Preheat oven to 200C. Tear the bread into bite size chunks and place in a bowl, add oil and parmesan, toss to combine. Spread bread onto baking tray and bake for 10 minutes or until golden and crisp. Set aside to cool.In a small glass jar, combine lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper. Screw on lid and shake well to combine.Slice each tomato into quarters, halve the grape tomatoes and tear the basil leaves into small pieces. Place tomatoes and basil on to a serving platter, top with croutons and drizzle with dressing.
- You will probably only need half of the dressing; use the remainder on the Green salad with peas and feta or store the rest in the jar in the fridge for a week or so. Allow to return to room temperature before using.