What you need
- Cardboard tube about the size of a toilet roll tube. You can make your
- own tube by wrapping some thin cardboard around a glue stick, overlapping the ends and taping.
- Crepe Paper. Wrapping paper/cellophane works well too.
- Snapper. Available from craft stores or Spotlight.
- Optional lolly (individually wrapped lollies stay fresh longer), novelty toy/small present, special message, party hat, Christmas stickers, gift tag
How to do it
- Make cardboard tube as previously described.
- Inside the tube place one snapper. (The ends of the snapper should protrude from the roll, the same amount each end).
- Next place any additional items eg hat, lolly, toy, special note etc into the roll.
- Cut a piece of crepe (or other) paper twice as long as the roll and wide enough to wrap around it and overlap.
- Place the roll in the middle of paper leaving an equal amount at each end.
- Wrap the paper around the cardboard roll and tape. (Make sure the contents don't fall out!)
- Sticky tape the paper in place.
- Carefully twist the ends of the paper to give it a cracker/bon bon shape. (Be careful not to twist too tight or the paper may tear and you may snap the snapper!)
- Tie ribbon around the twist to hold closed.
- Decorate with Christmas stickers if required.
- Add a small gift tag with the intended person's name on.
- Leave a short length of ribbon tied in a loop if you want to hang up the cracker on the Christmas tree.
- For hygiene purposes it is probably best not to recycle toilet rolls for this craft, especially if you are going to add a lolly to your cracker and put it on the table.
- These crackers can also be wrapped in material instead of paper, and the cracker and other contents omitted if you just them to hang on the tree as a decoration. They should last for years.