How to put the zing back into breakfast!
Breakfast is meant to be the most important meal of the day but if you have toast every morning, it's no wonder it's getting boring. Here are some ideas and recipes that will have you looking forward to breakfast.
Invest in a juicer
- Branch out from plain old orange juice and play around with different concoctions like:
- Blood juice (orange and strawberry)
- Apple, peach and pear
- Cherry, blueberry and apple
You can add water to dilute the sugar content.
Make your own cereal
Rather than waste your money on cardboard crunchers, create your own wholesome cereal at home. Combine 30g organic rolled oats, 1 sliced banana, 150g of low-fat natural yoghurt and 20g chopped walnuts in a bowl and enjoy!
Keep it interesting and alter the fruit and nut ingredients from day to day.
Fancy some fruit?
When it comes to meeting the recommended daily intake, having fruit at breakfast will give you a head-start. Prepare a fruit salad the night before using firm fruits like rockmelon, grapes and blueberries. Dollop with low-fat yoghurt in the morning.
Don't let the fruit stay wet after washing, and make sure to drain off any excess juice.
There's nothing like waking up to something charming and European. Serve this delicious French toast with a steaming cup of black coffee for an elegant indulgence.
Or why not opt for a fibre-rich breakfast of wholemeal pancakes with smoky bacon and maple syrup? It will leave you feeling satisfied and ready to tackle the day ahead.
If you've got more time, eggs are the way to go for the ultimate filling breakfast. Here are some recipes to get you started:
Find more breakfast ideas
- Buttermilk pancakes
- Basic omelette
- Breakfast bars
- Healthy strawberry smoothie
- Love heart French toast
- Banana pancakes
- Muesli fruit and yoghurt tray
- Scrambled eggs
- All breakfast recipes
Find more Healthy Eating articles:
- How to cook with your kids and have fun
- Cook the family friendly way
- The facts about good and bad oils
- Get the most out of your exercise
- Diet friendly frozen desserts
- Bottled water vs tap water
- Food shopping for weight loss
- Manage family snack attacks
- Easy meal ideas when you don't want to cook
- 52 weeks of health and happiness
- 4 budge foods worth cooking from scratch
- Healthy smoothie ideas
- Add flavour (not fat) to your meals
This article was originally written for Kidspot.com.au in conjunction with Weight Watchers as part of their Positively Life Changing initiative.