Helping solve sibling rivalry
While there will always be arguments between your children, there are ways you can help minimise conflict and unhealthy competition:
- Understand that each child has different needs and interests, and that you need to give them the space and time to nurture these interests – even if it means protecting them from the little hands of a younger sibling
- Avoid arguments about sharing and turn-taking by making sure that there are enough blocks cars, dress-ups for everyone to enjoy
- You need to spend one-on-one time with every child regularly. Never let your children feel that you don’t have enough time for them
- Give each of your children a little space they can call their own
- Let each child have his own special items that don’t have to be shared with siblings – this only works, though, if every child in the house understands what is and isn’t to be shared
- Make sure that all your children are being catered for.
- Never compare your children – and never, ever say ‘Why can’t you be more like your brother?’ because this will only ever lead to resentment
- Be sure that everyone in the household understands the house rules and they are equitable. If a rule is broken, insure that the reprimands are equally dealt out
- Try to teach your children strategies that will help them to learn how to problem-solve fairly
- Be affectionate with all your children, regardless of age and sex
Find more tips and advice on sibling rivalry:
- When is it best to get involved in sibling rivalry?
- Find out what Besty has to say about sibling rivalry
- Advice on how to prepare your child for a new baby
- Are your children competitive?
- Discuss your worrys and share your tips on the Mums forum
More tips on kids behaviour:
- More practical parenting advice
- What to do when your kids fight in the car
- Find out why kids swear
- 10 tips to deal with tantrums
- 1. How much sleep does my toddler need?
- 2. Going to bed problems
- 3. Reading with toddlers
- 4. Learning songs
- 5. Cooking with a toddler
- 6. Best books for toddlers
- 7. Play stages for toddlers
- 8. Feeding toddlers
- 9. Encouraging your toddler to eat
- 10. Toddlers and fussy eating
- 11. Toilet training basics
- 12. Discipline tips for 1 - 3 year olds
- 13. Toddler fears
- 14. Why does my toddler lie?
- 15. Best toddler tips
- 16. 10 tips to deal with tantrums