Baby travel - planes
- Very young babies do not have the same resistance to infection as older children and adults, and germs can be easily circulated in the warm air of the aircraft - so it's best to wait a few months after birth before flying.
- If you're going overseas, make sure that everyone traveling gets all the vaccinations they need well in advance of flying.
- Dress your baby in layers for air travel - the air temperature inside a plane is usually comfortable and you can take layers on and off as you need to.
- Do a little research before you book about which airlines are good at dealing with children - other mothers or your local travel agent will be able to help you with this.
- Try to book flights that will accommodate your baby's sleep routine. While this will make the actual travelling as pleasant as it can be, you will still have to contend with jet lag when you get to your destination which can really mix things up!
- Consider using a sling or pouch to carry your baby when travelling as it will free up your hands and make it less likely that you'll lose something along the way.
- Check whether the airline you're flying with have bassinettes available. Some airlines have bassinettes in the bulkhead which allow your baby to sleep well in something other than your arms. Try to feed your baby during take-off and landing for comfort and to help equalise her ears.
Last revised: Monday, 10 August 2015
This article contains general information only and is not intended to replace advice from a qualified health professional.
- 1. Teeth in babies and toddlers
- 2. Nappy Bag checklist
- 3. Baby smiles
- 4. Baby hearing, smell, taste and touch
- 5. Crying checklist
- 6. Learning to play in the first year
- 7. Tummy Time and Floor Play for Babies
- 8. Travelling with kids
- 9. Babies and books
- 10. Reading with my baby
- 11. Top tips for settling your baby to sleep
- 12. Comfort Settling 3 to 6 months
- 13. Sleep and settle at 9 to 12 months
- 14. Sleep needs for my baby
- 15. Signs of tiredness
- 16. Wrapping your baby
- 17. Sleeping safely with your baby
- 18. Safe nursery furniture bedding