Budget family travel
Going on a family holiday doesn't have to put too much strain on your budget - especially if you take heed of these money saving tips! You'll be surprised by how far your money can take you.
Do your research
- If you're looking to save money when planning a family holiday make sure you research your options.
- Choose a destination that doesn't have a big impact on your budget's bottom line.
- Most of the time, the further you want to go the more it'll cost. Why not explore close to home?
- If you're planning to go overseas, it'd be wise to pick a location with a good exchange rate. Or a spot where there are stacks of free activities to do.
- Be flexible with the length of time you stay away. Escaping for a weekend can be just as good as taking an entire month off if you make it fun and exciting.
- Ask the Kidspot community for their budget family holiday suggestions. First hand experience can save you a lot of money.
Travel at cheaper times
Whether you're organising an New Zealand Getaway or overseas holidays you can save money by travelling at off-peak times.
Check the school holidays calendar to find the best time to travel. School holidays tend to coincide with high travel periods but with a bit of planning you may still find a bargain! Travelling in the "shoulder season" (the period immediately before and after peak times such as the school holidays) can save you a dollar or two.
Families can reap big savings on flights and accommodation by travelling in off-peak periods, which is well outside the school holiday periods.
Tips to save money on flights
- When flying with a family opt for a discount airline to save money.
- Book your plane tickets online rather than using a travel agent.
- Another simple savings measure is to book your seats in advance because as your holiday draws closer, cheaper departure dates and times may no longer be available.
- You can also save money by flying mid-week (on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday) rather than on the weekend which is the most popular time to travel.
- Flights that depart early in the morning or late at night on those days are often the cheapest.
- If you need a place to stay too, you may save money by getting a package deal which includes airfares and accommodation.
Money-saving accommodation tips
On-line accommodation websites offer last minute discount deals for hotel rooms all over the world.
Rather than staying in a hotel, save money by renting a fully-equipped holiday home or an apartment at your destination - especially for longer holidays.
They offer weekly rates and in some cases the longer you stay the more money you'll shave off the rate.
It also means you can cook your own meals instead of eating out all the time and wash your own clothes rather than spending money (and time) at a laundromat!
Better still, arrange to house-sit or house-swap at your holiday destination and your accommodation could be free!
Find more articles and information on family budget travel
- Search the events and lives shows section and plan family and kids activities for your holiday
- Find free car games for the kids for your family driving holiday
- Book a family friendly hotel, caravan park or resort on line.
This article was created for Kidspot, New Zealand's leading parenting website.