5 - 6 years understanding the world
At this age, your child is beginning to be able to understand that there are differences between everyone and that they can happily co-exist.
- While she now understands the concept of time, she cannot yet tell the time. She is great at sorting objects by shape, size and colour.
- When she draws a person, she now includes a head with hair, eyes, nose and mouth, a body, arms and legs.
- She can draw a house with doors, windows and a roof.
- She now knows how to write some letters and can copy the ones she’s not sure of.
- She can recognise and name four colours.
- She is pre-reading – she can read single letters but may not be able to put them together to read them in combination as a word.
- By 6 years, she can arrange objects in order - smallest to largest, shortest to longest and lightest to heaviest.
How can I encourage her understanding of the world?
- At this age, she will want to know a lot of facts to understand her world. When she asks questions, take the time to give her an answer that will satisfy her curiosity.
Common Sense Advice. Share your experiences, tips and advice on the Kidspot Forum.