Kid-friendly pet choices
You may think that the easiest pet of them all is the humble goldfish – and you’d be right and wrong. While they definitely don’t need walking and they won’t break the bank in fish food, you may end up spending quite a bit of time and energy just keeping them alive. This family pet will need a regular supply of aerated water and this means investing in a pump. Aquariums need regular cleaning and maintenance and this will probably all fall to you to do.
Best kid-friendly pets
Quite simply, the small mammals that need no walking, minimal cleaning and can live quite happily on family food scraps.
- Guinea Pigs
- Rats (Dr Harry’s favourite choice for a kid-friendly pet!)
But if your heart is set on something a little more interactive and you happy to invest the time and love on a dog or cat, these are the breeds most temperamentally suited for children:
- Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
- Cocker Spaniel
- Golden Retriever
- Great Dane
- Labrador Retriever
- Maltese/ ShihTzu cross
- American and exotic shorthair
Common Sense Advice. Share your experiences, tips and advice on the Kidspot Forum.
This article was written by Ella Walsh for Kidspot.
- 1. How much sleep does my toddler need?
- 2. Going to bed problems
- 3. Reading with toddlers
- 4. Learning songs
- 5. Cooking with a toddler
- 6. Best books for toddlers
- 7. Play stages for toddlers
- 8. Feeding toddlers
- 9. Encouraging your toddler to eat
- 10. Toddlers and fussy eating
- 11. Toilet training basics
- 12. Discipline 1 - 3 years
- 13. Toddler fears
- 14. Why does my toddler lie?
- 15. Best toddler tips
- 16. 10 tips to deal with tantrums