There's nothing nicer than setting aside a little time each day to massage your baby. Not only will he love it, but it will allow you a bit of zen time to chill out with him, relax and take a few deep cleansing breaths yourself.
Baby massage can:
- Improve the quality of your baby's sleep by soothing an overstimulated nervous system.
- Tone the digestive system - there are special massage techniques that can help relieve wind, constipation and colic.
- Through relaxation, it can strengthen the immune system - stress weakens the immune system.
- Improve the circulatory and lymphatic systems through stimulation.
- Teach your baby to handle sensory input.
- Create a conditioned relaxation response, which is hugely beneficial if you have an anxious child.
- Reduce muscle tension.
- Help develop co-ordination and flexibility.
Bonding through baby massage:
- Touch is a very powerful element in human bonding as are communication, both verbal and non-verbal, and prolonged eye contact. Baby massage encompasses all these aspects of bonding.
- Baby massage is a wonderful way to spend quiet time together focusing on one another.
- For parents who have delayed bonding due to birth complications, adoption or post natal depression, baby massage offers a way to create a bonding situation that is relaxed and focused on a physical care activity that will encourage a connectedness.
- Baby massage offers dads a way of connecting with their newborn, beyond changing nappies.
To learn how to do baby massage, go to Raising Children Network.
- 1. Join the latest parenting club!
- 2. How to register your baby's birth
- 3. Real-mum tips about feeding from 6 months
- 4. The importance of bath time for baby
- 5. Understanding baby eye development
- 6. Newborn eyes
- 7. Baby eye care
- 8. Introducing peanuts earlier to avoid allergies
- 9. Fitting a car seat
- 10. Washing your baby too often can increase eczema risk