Vegetarian ideas for school children
Children who are vegetarian must have alternative sources of iron, such as dark green leafy vegetables and lentils. Other useful sources include bread and some fortified breakfast cereals. Iron from plant sources is less well absorbed than iron from animal sources. Consuming vitamin C rich foods or drinks such as orange juice with a meal can increase iron absorption.
Packing an enticing lunch box for vegetarian children requires a bit more planning, mainly to ensure protein and iron sources are included.
Vegetarian nutrition for children:
- Healthy vegetarian eating for children
- Food pyramid for children
- Keeping kids healthy on a vegetarian diet
- Nutritional deficiencies in a vegetarian diet
- Vegetarian eating for young people
- Vegetarian meal ideas
- Healthy lunch box eating
- Feeding school aged children