Trimming baby nails
Cutting your newborns nails is an unpleasant job, as even the tiniest jerk from their limbs can cause a nick. Some parents wait till their baby is sleeping to trim their nails (running the risk of waking them), while others play a two-person game, one yielding the clippers and the other holding each hand.
To trim your baby's nails use a specially designed baby clipper with a rounded tip.
For a more accurate snip, press down the baby’s finger pad so the skin isn’t in contact with the nail clipper.
If you miss and draw blood (it happens to us all), just apply pressure with a sterile gauze pad and give plenty of love and coddling. Then make sure someone loves and coddles you, because we know how heart-wrenching these slip-ups are.
This article was written by Linda Drummond for Kidspot, New Zealand's leading pregnancy and parenting resource.
- 1. Join the latest parenting club!
- 2. How to register your baby's birth
- 3. Real-mum tips about feeding from 6 months
- 4. The importance of bath time for baby
- 5. Understanding baby eye development
- 6. Newborn eyes
- 7. Baby eye care
- 8. Introducing peanuts earlier to avoid allergies
- 9. Fitting a car seat
- 10. Washing your baby too often can increase eczema risk