10 top lunchbox ideas
1. The three bowl approach: fill one bowl with fruit, one with treats and one with dairy (such as tubs of yoghurt or cheese sticks). Let the kids make their own lunches by selecting one item from each bowl. Just add a sandwich, a bottle of water and lunch is ready.
3. The surprise factor: Okay, so your kid will not budge from the Vegemite sandwich. Introduce the unexpected by cutting their Vegemite sandwich with a cookie cutter. It may well be their first step in understanding that variety is the spice of life.
4. The leftover lunch: Cook a little extra dinner the night before and save for lunch the next day. Roast chicken, pasta salad, quiche, homemade pizza slices and sausages are just a few examples that are delicious cold for lunch.
5. The lunchbox: If you use a lunchbox that keeps food chilled, you can send tubs of yoghurt, small containers of dip or cottage cheese mixed with pineapple pieces to school without fear of salmonella poisoning.
6. Perfect packaging: hard boiled eggs, small tins of baked beans or tuna and the ziplock bag are a sandwich's best friend - no spills; no soggy sandwich.
7. Filling fillings: banana and honey; mashed egg and mayonnaise; ham, cheese and tomato; cream cheese, tuna, cucumber and carrot.
8. The love note: add a little message from you to brighten their day, and their lunch if they're not going to be happy with what you snuck in!
9. No sneaking things in: Kids will be more likely to eat their lunch if they have had a hand in preparing it. See idea 1.
10. Find something new: ask other mums what they offer their kids for lunch at the Kidspot Message Board.
Popular lunchbox ideas and recipes
- Browse all muffin recipes
- Muesli biscuits
- Homemade muesli bars
- Banana bread
- Monster Pitas
- Pizza Pinwheels
- Rock cakes
- Skyscraper sandwiches
- Weetbix slice
- Search all lunchbox recipes
Find advice and information on preparing school lunches
- Find healthy lunchbox tips
- Do you know what should be in a school lunch everyday?
- Tips for packed lunches
- Healthy snack ideas for kids