Find a playgroup
Playgroup is an informal session where mums, dads, grand parents, caregivers, children and babies meet together in a relaxed environment.
Playgroups are set up and run by parents and caregivers, with children choosing from a range of activities set up to meet their varying needs.
Activities at playgroup are either free or low cost, and may include:
- Music and singing
- Imaginative play
- Outdoor and free play
- Art and craft activities
In a playgroup, parents and caregivers stay to interact with the other adults & to play with the children.
Playgroup can be held anywhere that is safe for children and where groups of people can meet - community and neighbourhood centres, health clinics, women's centres, preschools and kindergartens, church halls and even in someone's house.
No child is too young for playgroup. All children from 0-5 years, including babies, love new experiences and benefit from developing sensory, social and communication skills through activities at playgroup.
Children like playgroup because they can:
- Participate in new experiences
- Develop and increase their social skills
- Learn sharing, co-operation and simple routines
- Interact with other adults and children in a safe environment
- Enjoy learning more about their world
Adults also benefit from playgroup - a time to talk, make friends and share experiences, while children learn through their play experiences.
Adults like playgroup because they can:
- Meet other local families and develop new friendships
- Relax and talk in a friendly environment
- Share experiences and ideas
- Play with children and nurture a spirit of co-operation
- Take up opportunities for personal development
There are playgroups all over New Zealand:
- Find a local playgroup which suits your needs
- 1. How much sleep does my toddler need?
- 2. Going to bed problems
- 3. Reading with toddlers
- 4. Learning songs
- 5. Cooking with a toddler
- 6. Best books for toddlers
- 7. Play stages for toddlers
- 8. Feeding toddlers
- 9. Encouraging your toddler to eat
- 10. Toddlers and fussy eating
- 11. Toilet training basics
- 12. Discipline tips for 1 - 3 year olds
- 13. Toddler fears
- 14. Why does my toddler lie?
- 15. Best toddler tips
- 16. 10 tips to deal with tantrums