Finger puppets transform children into storytellers, as well as offer a fun craft project.
Making their own finger puppets allows kids to:
- Develop and choose colours
- Gain manual dexterity by using scissors
- Think up character and storytelling ideas
Playing with the finger puppets and creating their own puppet show takes the learning even further by:
- Helping children build social skills as they learn to listen to each other and take turns
- Kids learn cooperation and acceptance of others ideas and wishes
- Emotions can be released in a healthy way as the child uses the finger puppet to express their feelings and concerns and children can practice saying what they feel through the finger puppet
- Language development is accelerated as the kids experiment with different voices and characters
- Finger puppet play helps children distinguish between fantasy and reality. They pick up a lifeless inanimate finger puppet and all of a sudden it becomes a living talking being.
Make your own finger puppets
This article was written for Kidspot's New Zealand.