Secrets for happy car travel
You may not agree that happy and travel are words that go together in the same sentence. We're not completely convinced either, but we do know it's a state worth heading towards. Here are the directions you should take:
- Book the car in for a service before you leave and let your mechanic know you are planning on taking a road trip.
- Have the car professionally cleaned before you leave.
- Include a wet washcloth stored in a re-sealable plastic bag for each person. Add a quartered lemon for extra zing and freshness.
- Pack a small chillybin with snacks, drinks and frozen ice packs. Store in the boot.
- Audio books and music CDs will help to keep the kids happy and content.
- You may wish to consider buying an in-car DVD player.
- Install a child view mirror so you can safely keep an eye on baby.
- Stop every two hours for 10 minutes. Driver fatigue is a common factor in the cause of car accidents.
- Pack a baby capsule insect cover to keep baby protected from insects such as mosquitoes when you stop for a roadside picnic lunch.
- Use a neck support cushion to keep baby’s head comfortable.
- Cushions, neck supports and seat belt adjusters make car journeys more comfortable and safer for children too big for car seats.
- Store a couple of in-car rubbish bags in the glove box.
- Hang a back seat organizer filled with games, drinks and toys from each of the front seats.
- Don’t forget nappies – you’ll need one for each hour you’ll be on the road.
- Ziplock plastic bags for dirty nappies, bibs, clothes etc will keep the car smelling nice.
- Where possible, rotate the kids’ seats in the back so everyone gets a turn at being next to the window.
- Play lots of fun car games.
- 1. Disney's Pete's Dragon: For a new generation of fans
- 2. Should I let my child play Pokemon GO?
- 3. Wrap up for winter school holiday fun
- 4. Get a workout at the playground
- 5. Applying for a child's passport
- 6. The friendliest giant is coming to town!
- 7. A peek into Auckland Zoo's new African precinct
- 8. 7 recipes to treat yourself on Mother's Day
- 9. 5 FREE Family Days Out: City Edition
- 10. Kids in the Kitchen - Allsort Slice