Birthday party idea: easy fringe pinata
A piñata is a birthday party essential - but it can be a nightmare if you don't want one plastered with Dora or Transformers. So how do we find a piñata when throwing a non character party? Make one! You can either DIY your own piñata with paper mache (which is time consuming) OR you can cheat and make this easy fringe piñata...
To make an easy fringe piñata, you'll need:
- Thinnish cardboard
- Silver foil cellophane
- Double-sided tape
- Masking tape (optional)
- Hole punch (optional)
How to create an easy fringe piñata:
- Stick a strip of double-sided tape onto the edge of the piece of cardboard and roll into a cone shape. Run your fingers along the taped area to ensure it sticks. If you know small children will be attending the party who won't be able to crack the piñata open, you can make the cone smaller, so when they hit it and swing it, the lollies fall out of the top easily.
- Cut the top of the cone to even it up but also make it the size you desire.
- Cut the cellophane into 10cm(ish) strips.
- Make cuts along one side a centimetre or two from the top to create a fringe effect. It's quicker to cut while the strips are still folded up, but neater if you open it up first.
- Wrap around the point side of the cone with the fringe side in line with the point and cut off. Run some double sided tape along the non-fringed edge.
- Turn the cone upside down so it rests on a flat surface on the wide end with the point upwards. Stick your fringing on the point.
- Repeat with more fringing all the way up the cone, overlapping the layer below it each time.
- As you get closer to the top, tape a piece of masking tape on the inside and outside of each side, directly opposite each other and pierce with a single hole punch. This strengthens the areas that will be weakened by the string.
- Tie the string through the holes, turn the right way up, fill with lollies and let your party guests at it!
- Make a no-sew superhero cape and mask
- Invisible ink invitations
- Ballet ribbon wand craft
- Make tin can flower pots
- Messy ooblek recipe
- Confetti balloons invitations
- Hanging donuts and biscuits game
- Make a robot costume
- Make an easy fringe piñata
- Make chocolate gold medals for prizes
- Gingerbread cubby house party activity
- Tea party ribbon craft
- Make your own party poppers
Find more birthday party themes:
- Tea party birthday party theme
- Messy birthday party theme
- Rainbow birthday party theme
- Sports carnival birthday party theme
- Sparkle birthday party theme
- Robot birthday party theme
- Ballet birthday party theme
- Storybook birthday party theme
- Superhero birthday party theme
- Flowers birthday party theme
- Pyjama birthday party theme