Goodbye cot, hello big bed
It's a big event moving out of the safe confines of a cot into the wide open spaces of a bed - a pinnacle moment for parents and tot.
Here are 8 tips to make the transition a smooth one for all.
It's unavoidable - one day that tiny little tot of yours will have to leave the fenced-in safety of the cot.
And maybe you've been dreading this day because you know that your child will:
- not adjust to the change
- will refuse to stay in bed
- not settle at night or for the daytime nap
- all of the above.
When to make the move?
Between the ages of 2 or 3, your toddler will be getting a bit squished in the cot. Or she may have started risking life and limb by climbing out - this sort of daredevil behaviour can sometimes force parents to move their kids into a big bed before even 18 months.
Or it may just be time - and you're both excited about the new stage beckoning.
Here are some tips on how to guarantee that the transition is a success.
- Announce the move about a week in advance and talk about the process and the excitement, answering any questions or concerns.
- Read some books about “big bed” - there are a few out there covering this very event.
- If you have to buy a new bed for your child, let her be involved in helping to choose it.
- Shop for bed linen and quilt covers together. Or let them choose their sheets from your linen cupboard.
- Encourage your child to help you make up the new bed.
- If your child's a bit wary, let her sleep in the new bed during the daytime nap to start with.
- If your child feels unsafe or insecure, you can buy side rails for the bed.
- If you have a bed-escaper, try some positive reinforcement with a star chart.
More articles on sleep and moving to a big bed:
- First time with daylight savings
- Toddler night waking
- From cot to bed
- Transitioning to a bed
- Toddler bedtime tips
- My toddler won't stay in bed
More toddler firsts:
- Recipes for toddlers
- Toddler nutrition
- Moving to a big bed for the first time
- Solving tantrums
- Toilet training tips and tricks
- Resolving problems
- Activities for toddlers
- Toddler grooming tips
- Toddler development
- Toddler first steps
- Toddler teeth and dental care