Play group for babies
There is no better feeling than getting yourself out of the house for a while when it feels like all you do is talk baby talk. Give your baby someone else to talk to and get some adult conversation at the same time! Organising a play group is not as hard as it seems. Here's how.
What you need:
- paper and markers or a computer and a printer
- some creativity
Jump on the computer and create a flyer, or make one using your paper and markers. Add details and ask for expressions of interest. Make sure you include a phone number to contact you on.
Take your flyer to the local child and health centre, the local kindergarten or school. Once you get some mums together, host a playgroup session of your own. Here are some ideas on how to entertain the kids while you mums have a chat.
What to expect:
- Play sessions don't last too long for little ones. Aim for an hour or maybe two, before the babies start getting a little too tired to play.
- Not everyone can make it all the time so plan your sessions weekly or even fortnightly to begin with.
How to host a successful playgroup:
- Make sure the area you have set up is safe for babies on the move. Remove any movable objects that pose a risk.
- Fill electrical sockets with baby-safe plugs, cover corners of tables that are not able to be removed and make sure if a child grabs a table or stand that nothing can fall and hurt the child.
- Keep snacks light or even ask everyone attending to bring a plate so all of the burden is not on you.
- Have simple yet colourful toys to encourage babies to play.
What to do with the babies:
There are many ideas on how to entertain a baby, try some of these:
There are other people in the group just like you! They might wish to hold the group in their space so take turns in hosting the group at each home.
FREE EMAIL NEWSLETTER
- Activity inspiration
- Parenting tips
- Recipes and more!