The Very Hungry Caterpillar - Things to make and do
There’s something about Eric Carle’s The Very Hungry Caterpillar that really appeals to me. Is it the fact that the caterpillar eats his way through half the world’s food supply then does a giant burp? Or is it the lovely transformation from green grub to beautiful butterfly at the end? Whatever it is, it seems I am not alone. There are literally thousands of fun craft and food ideas all over the internet inspired by The Very Hungry Caterpillar.
If you love it as much as I do, here are some cute Very Hungry Caterpillar ideas from Kidspot:
The Very Hungry Caterpillar pom pom craft
Pom poms are fun but the best part is using a hole punch to make the caterpillar’s bite holes.
- You’ll find the full instructions and video tutorial here How to make a pom pom Hungry Caterpillar
Egg carton Hungry Caterpillar
Yes, where there’s toilet roll craft, it follows there will also be egg carton craft. Simple, cute and very satisfying for even the most craft-challenged mum and toddler.
- Find the full instructions (if you really need them!) and video tutorial here How to make an egg carton Hungry Caterpillar
6. Easy paper craft Hungry Caterpillar
This one will appeal purely for the lure of the magic stapler machine, because if there’s one thing a toddler loves, it’s something that just might hurt them if they’re not supervised. Careful with those little fingers!
- Find the full page and video tutorial here How to make a paper craft Hungry Caterpillar
Messy (in a fun way) painting stuff
Hungry Caterpillar handprint art
Handprint art is good, messy fun (well fun for the toddler, anyway) and it also provides you with an artistic ‘growth chart’ of your child. Have a bucket of soapy water and face washer nearby so you don’t end up with ‘handprint art’ all over your walls.
- Find this one and more handprint art ideas here Four cute handprint art projects
9. Hungry Caterpillar fruit stamps
Why not make the food that he ate as well? Fruit stamps are a ‘childhood bucket list’ kinda thing.
- Find out how to make Hungry Caterpillar fruit stamps here.
Even craftier things to make and do
Make a Very Hungry Caterpillar dress up mask
Book week? Sorted! Character costume party? Sorted. Just add a green onesie and you’re done.
- Find the full instructions for the Very Hungry Caterpillar mask here: How to make a Very Hungry Caterpillar Mask
Very Hungry Caterpillar party food and snacks
The Very Hungry Caterpillar toddler bento box
Every so often, you have to ask yourself: how far is too far when it comes to trying to get your toddler to eat something … anything? If you’re into elaborate solutions, try this toddler bento box based on The Very Hungry Caterpillar. You can add anything, as long as it’s in the book!
- Find out more about the The Very Hungry Caterpillar toddler bento box here.
The Very Hungry Caterpillar fruit and cheese snack
A bit less elaborate than the bento box, but just as effective.
- Find out how to create this yummy fruit snack here: A Very Hungry Caterpillar fruit snack recipe
Very Hungry Caterpillar sandwiches
Proof that once you start with this caterpillar caper, you see caterpillars in everything. These cute sandwiches make a great party snack idea.
- Find out how to make them here: The Very Hungry Caterpillar sandwiches
FREE EMAIL NEWSLETTER
- Activity inspiration
- Parenting tips
- Recipes and more!