Easy costume: Will Treaty, The Ranger's Apprentice
Easy costumes like this Will Treaty costume from The Ranger's Apprentice series, are all about the accessories. Watch the video below to see how you can cobble together a last minute costume the night before Book Week from stuff in your own wardrobe.
What you need:
- 1 x neutral coloured pants
- 1 x tunic (we used a women's short sleeved cardigan, grandpa shirts also make good tunics)
- 2 x belts
- 1 x hooded cape (brown or green)
- 1 x bow
- 1 x quiver (we used a music stand carry case)
- toy arrows
Start with the basics: long pants and a long sleeved shirt.
Now add a tunic of some sort. Look in your wardrobe, you'll be amazed by what you can appropriate just by putting a belt around the middle.
Belt the tunic loosely around the hips. You can add weaponry utilities here. (Hint: Will carries two hunting knives so if you had some plastic toy knives, you might add them here.)
Add the cape.
Add the bow.
Fashion a quiver out of something long and narrow. We used a music stand carry case, you could also use a tripod carry case. Or look in your recycling bin for a long narrow box. Cut it to size.
Use the second belt to attach the quiver to "Will's" back - putting it diagonally across his body.
As a final touch, print out this Oakleaf template onto gold paper and cut it out. Attach it to the neckline of Will's cape, or he could wear it on a string around his neck.
Your child is ready to be a Ranger.
- Even though Will carries lots of weaponry, Rangers are essentially spies. They rely on their smarts and small stature to creep around in the shadows and defeat the enemy with quick thinking rather than brute force.
- Thanks to Kidspot Australia for creating the instructional video.
FREE EMAIL NEWSLETTER
- Activity inspiration
- Parenting tips
- Recipes and more!