Very Hungry Caterpillar bento box
Fussy eaters can be overcome with this fun themed bento box based on the popular picture book The Very Hungry Caterpillar. Get your toddler to help you set it out in the box and you might find them more interested in eating it.
What you need:
- 1/2 sandwich of choice
- 1/2 cucumber cut into rounds
- 1/2 cherry tomato
- 2 x small circles of cheese (eyes)
- 2 x slivers of carrot (antennae)
- 1 x small circle of cucumber skin (mouth)
- 1/4 apple (sliced)
- a few cheese pieces
- 1/4 mandarin (sliced)
- 2 x tbsp of yoghurt or jelly
You will also need:
- 1 x large square plastic lunch box or container
- 2 x smaller squares to slot inside the larger one
Place the half sandwich into the large portion of the 'bento box'. Now make a caterpillar on top of the sandwich using the cucumber rounds (body) and the 1/2 cherry tomato (head). I used a hole punch through a cheese slice to make eyes and did the same with a small sliver of cucumber skin for the mouth.
Place two slivers of carrot as the antennae.
Now fill the lower two boxes with the things the caterpillar munched through.
I used: apples, mandarins, cheese and yoghurt (but jelly would be more accurate).
See if you can get your toddler to eat it all, just like the Very Hungry Caterpillar. Don't forget the big burp!
- Thanks to our sister company Kidspot Australia for creating the instructional video.
More Very Hungry Caterpillar crafts on Kidspot:
- Very Hungry Caterpillar handprint art
- Very Hungry Caterpillar egg carton craft
- Paper craft Very Hungry Caterpillar
- Very Hungry Caterpillar finger painting
- Pom pom Very Hungry Caterpillar craft
FREE EMAIL NEWSLETTER
- Activity inspiration
- Parenting tips
- Recipes and more!