Make a toilet roll octopus
Toilet rolls and egg cartons are the must-have recycled craft essentials. Start putting them aside now and you'll have a whole afternoon of recycled craft activities for a rainy day, beginning with this easy toilet roll octopus.
Number of players:
What you need:
- 1 x toilet roll
- 3 x tissues
- wiggly crimping scissors
- 2 x googly eyes
- coloured paints
- craft glue
- coloured construction paper
Watch the video tutorial to find out how to make a cute octopus out of an old toilet roll.
First make the octopus' head. Scrunch up two tissues then use the third tissue to form a dome over them. Push it up inside the toilet roll to make his domed head.
Now paint your octopus' body and head.
Add some contrasting polka dots.
Now use your crimping scissors to cut eight tentacles. Curl each tentacle upwards by rolling it around a texta.
Glue on some googly eyes.
Using your crimping scissors, make a headband out of a strip of construction paper and a mouth.
- If you have hygiene concerns regarding the use of making crafts from toilet paper rolls, you can cut a paper towel roll or gift wrap tube to use instead, or roll your own tube using card stock.
- You can make lots of octopuses and paint them all different colours, then create an octopus's garden.
- You could also make lots of egg carton jellyfish and Origami fish to go in your octopus's garden.
- Thanks to our sister company Kidspot Australia for the instructional video.
FREE EMAIL NEWSLETTER
- Activity inspiration
- Parenting tips
- Recipes and more!