Silky play dough
Everyone loves playing with play dough! This recipe gives you silky smooth play dough for your own creations time after time. Remember to wrap it up after use and it will keep for a long time!
Number of players:
What you need:
- 1 tbsp of bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 cup plain flour
- ½ cup salt
- 3 tbsp (any) oil
- 2 cups boiling water
- food colouring (choose desired colours, easiest to stick to 2 or 3 choices at a time)
- adult assistance
Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Add the oil, mixing to form rough breadcrumbs.
Next add the boiling water and once combined knead the ingredients on a clean surface until they form the silky dough.
Set aside the dough and cover your clean workbench with cling wrap.
Divide silky dough into even portions for colouring.
Put ½ tsp of colour in at a time – increasing the quantity if needed to make a vibrant, richer colour.
Wearing gloves knead the colouring into the dough.
Use straightaway or put in the fridge for later.
- Be careful as the boiling water increases the temperature of the dough and can be too hot to hold at times. You may want to use a utensil to do the initial mix.
- If the dough is too sticky when kneading, add a little flour. If it is too dry, add a little water. These amounts must be minimal additions as it's best not to upset the balance between ingredient quantities.
- It is not necessary to wear gloves, most food colouring washes off with hot soapy water.
- Store in cling wrap, resealable bags or an airtight container.
FREE EMAIL NEWSLETTER
- Activity inspiration
- Parenting tips
- Recipes and more!