Toilet roll rocket party bon bons
Trash to treasure craft is a great way to teach kids about recycling materials. These homemade party bon bons are a great idea for Christmas, birthday parties or just a rainy day activity for kids.
Number of players:
What you need:
- 1 x empty toilet roll
- 1 x A4 sheet of coloured craft paper
- 10cm square of tissue paper or crepe paper
- 10cm square piece of cardboard
- 50cm of string
- 1 x small bead
- coloured ribbons to decorate
- a packet of mini pompoms (or lollies)
You can download a diagram here to help you make your bon bons or watch the video tutorial above.
The first step is to make the bon bon mechanism.
Trace around the bottom of the toilet roll onto card stock to cut out a circle of card that will sit in the base of the bon bon.
Attach the bead to 30cm of the string. Poke the unbeaded end through the centre of the cardboard circle you have just cut out.
Now get the piece of tissue paper, thread the unbeaded end of the string through the centre of the tissue paper.
Now glue the tissue paper to the circle and then use the edges of the tissue paper to attach the whole thing to the end of the toilet roll.
Stuff the toilet roll with mini pompoms.
Cut out a piece of coloured craft paper to decorate the bon bon - make sure it covers the body of the toilet roll. Use glue or sticky tape to attach four coloured ribbons along the bottom of that piece of paper.
Wrap it around the toilet roll for decoration.
Now to make the cone, cut a 10cm diameter circle out of the coloured card. Snip a slit from edge to centre, push the circle into a cone shape and staple it in place.
To attach it to the top of the bon bon, punch two holes in the top edge, thread a piece of string through and tie it in the centre to make a triangle of string. Thread the end of the triangle through the top of the cone shape and then push the cone into place on top of the bon bon.
Tie your bon bon up and then yank on the string to release a shower of pompoms.
Hints and tips:
- If you have hygiene concerns regarding the use of making crafts from toilet paper rolls, you can cut a paper towel roll or gift wrap tube to use instead, or roll your own tube using card stock.
- You could stuff your bon bons with lollies for a great party game.
- You could also use confetti or glitter (if you don't mind cleaning up the mess!).
- Thanks to our sister company Kidspot Australia for creating the printable template.
FREE EMAIL NEWSLETTER
- Activity inspiration
- Parenting tips
- Recipes and more!