Everyone loves to build sandcastles and whether you are at the beach or in the backyard, this kids activity will keep your little ones busy. Gather the family, grab a bucket, some sand and some water and get building an eye-catching sandcastle today.
Number of players:
What you need:
- A water bottle to spray the sand with and keep damp
- Any shaped plastic container, bucket or pail
- A spade, old spoon or a garden trowel
Always use wet or damp sand to build your castle.
Fill your bucket or container with damp sand.
Pack the sand down firmly before turning the container upside down and gently tapping the base to loosen the sand. Gently raise the container to leave a castle of packed sand.
Spray the sand once again to ensure it is solid.
Refill your container and keep building the walls of your castle in the same way, placing the container-shaped sand blocks next to each other like bricks. Once you have finished your wall, start adding sand to the upper layers to create a higher wall.
Remember that the base of the walls have to be thicker than the top to ensure they don't fall over or weaken.
Create the shape of the castle you want by varying the container size molds of the sand as this can create fun turrets, towers and even a draw-bridge across the castles moat.
To give your sandcastle that personal touch, draw windows or doors on the walls of your castle using sticks, shells, or your spade.
- You can also use old pens, pencils, and plastic cutlery to help shape your castle as you add detail and design.
- Sandcastles are really easy and surprisingly fun to construct. You can make them with a bucket, container, a shovel or even your hands. What you build is limited only by your imagination.
FREE EMAIL NEWSLETTER
- Activity inspiration
- Parenting tips
- Recipes and more!