Reckon you can figure out how a snowdome works? Guess what? If you've got a jar and you've got glitter, you've got a snowdome! Remember to screw the lid on tightly!
What you need:
- 1 x small jar with a tight-fitting lid
- a LEGO person (or similar small plastic figurine)
- a hot glue gun
Take the lid off the jar and turn it upside down (with the underside facing upwards).
Place a glob of hot glue onto the underside of the jar's lid and then glue your LEGO person, upright, to the lid.
Now fill the jar with water.
Add glitter, lots and lots of glitter.
Once the hot glue is dry (it dries pretty quickly, so you won't have to wait too long) carefully screw the lid back onto the jar. Your LEGO person will be upside down at this point. Make sure the lid is on tightly.
Turn the jar upside down. Now your LEGO person should be the right way up.
Shake the jar and release the snowstorm.
Hints and tips:
- You could use any plastic toy figurine, as long as it fits in your jar. Trashies would work well.
- Coloured glitter makes the most spectacular snowstorm, so don't scrimp on the glitter!
- Adding a small amount of glycerin can give the water a thicker consistency, making the glitter fall slower to the bottom.
- If you want to keep the snowdome for a long time, using distilled water will help to stop discolouration of the water.
FREE EMAIL NEWSLETTER
- Activity inspiration
- Parenting tips
- Recipes and more!