10 ways to improve your body - without plastic surgery
You can improve your appearance with these simple, cheap and painless ways to tone up and flatter your body - without going under the knife! Some people will go to extreme measures to improve their appearance, spending thousands of dollars to change their body and appearance and lose weight. The good news is this isn't necessary. There are plenty of other ways to change your appearance.
Dismiss the painful nip and tuck of plastic surgery for a simple snip and pluck!
It's no secret that people are willing to go to amazing lengths all in the name of 'looking good'. Many spend thousands and expose themselves to invasive surgery (liposuction) and botulism (Botox) just so they can be happier with the person they see in the mirror every morning and tone their body.
Fortunately, you don't have to risk wielding your credit card to a plastic surgeon just to obtain a flatter tummy, a tighter body or a brighter smile.
10 simple, inexpensive and relatively painless ways you can improve your body without going under the knife:
- Start an abs routine to lose that mummy tummy. Take five minutes before your morning shower to do two or three sets of 15 abdominal crunches (knees bent). If you do them every second day, you'll noticeably tighten up your midsection and improve your overall mobility - and your posture too.
- Use the stairs (instead of taking the lift). Taking the stairs strengthens all the major muscle groups in your lower body extremity. Hamstrings, gluts, quads and calves are all going to reap that benefit. As a bonus, you'll also burn more kilojoules too.
- Use body-shaping underwear to instantly 'lose weight'. Only grandmas used to wear girdles - now modern women wear 'shapewear', underpants or tights (though essentially they serve the same purpose). They're an inexpensive and simple way to instantly flatten your stomach, reduce thigh size, create a waist shape and to smooth and lift your butt - no plastic surgery needed!
- Do lunges before bed. Start with wall slides - stand with your back against the wall and your feet 30cm in front of you, then slide down the wall until your thighs are parallel to the ground, and then come back up. Do two sets of 15. Finish with lunges - start by taking a giant step forward with one leg, then lower into lunge position until the knee on your opposite leg almost touches the ground. Push through the front heel to raise back up. Do two sets of 15 with one leg, then two sets with the opposite leg. Both exercises will help tone and firm your major lower-body muscle groups, such as gluts, quads and hamstrings.
- Try yoga for a gentle exercise to improve your body. The ancient art of yoga burns kilojoules while toning and improving your overall flexibility and posture. The benefits of yoga are cumulative. It's just a matter of time before you will improve flexibility, strength, concentration, will power and determination - plus tone your body!
- Throw on some high heels. They don't have to be ankle breaking 7 inch stilettos! Just a small comfortable heel will make you walk talker. Best of all, they elongate the legs making them look longer and leaner. They'll also help pants sit nicely below the ankle. Your hemline should be an inch off the ground with your heels on.
- Drink plenty of water. At the very least you should consume six glasses of water every day. Dehydration can cause fatigue, headaches, constipation and tooth decay. Being well hydrated could contribute to better looking and clearer skin.
- Always wear flattering fashion pieces like flat-fronted trousers. Pleats and pockets are a no-no for so many reasons, so put them in your next charity shop drop-off. Besides being a hopelessly unstylish relic of the '80s, pleats create unnecessary puffiness around your mid-section and pockets make your thighs look wider.
- Get a new hairstyle. What better way to focus attention away from your figure and toward your bright smile than with a funky hairstyle? Talk to a stylist about cuts and styles that complement your face. There are also online makeover sites that will let you upload your photo and try on new dos. Or - follow these tips for great hair from home.
- Get a spray tan. It's a quick way to look instantly slim without toning up or surgery! In the spray room, you can can wear what you feel comfortable in (dispopsable g-string or your bra and knickers). The process takes about 10 minutes for spraying and 10 minutes for drying. You'll leave with your body looking bronzed, toned and beautiful - like you've just came back from a tropical health spa!
Find more Beauty articles:
- 4 ways to ease stretch marks
- Great foods for great skin
- DIY manicures and pedicures
- Get a positive body image
- Protect your skin for summer
- Great hair from home
- Magically mulitply your make-up
- Ways you can fight the winter weight gain
- Rejuvenate your wardrobe
- 5 easy treatments you can do while doing something else
This article was originally written for Kidspot.com.au in conjunction with Weight Watchers as part of their Positively Life Changing initiative.