Simple mum-friendly beauty tips
Juggling the countless responsibilities of motherhood can make finding the time to take care of your appearance almost impossible.
Here are some easy, no-fuss tips that will have you feeling pampered in no time at all!
Beauty begins with healthy skin. You can load your face with makeup, but if your complexion is dull you'll be using it to hide what's underneath rather than as an enhancer.
Instead of booking in for a facial every week, here are five simple things you can do at home:
- Wash your face every night no matter how tired you are. You don't need an expensive cleanser - it can be from the supermarket - but as long as it removes all makeup and dirt from your face.
- Moisturise! The more you hydrate your skin, the healthier your skin will look and it will help prevent premature wrinkles. Keep in mind that this is the one product you may want to spend a little more on, so consult with a professional, like a dermatologist to determine which moisturiser is ideal for your skin type.
- Exfoliating once a week is beneficial for your face because it removes dead skin cells, allowing the moisturiser to better penetrate your skin.
- Apply an ice cube all over your face when you're sleep deprived or feeling tired. It's the best solution to remove traces of fatigue and to reduce puffy eyes. You'll be surprised how the cube's cold quality will make you look refreshed and awake.
- Do not play with pimples, which are essentially infections. When poked and probed they spread germs and cause more to sprout. The best way to treat a pimple is to dab some rubbing alcohol directly on it.
On a daily basis it shouldn't take you more than fifteen minutes to apply makeup. According to Jenny Volonik, a make-up artist at Annie Young Cosmetics, the following four products are all a woman needs to wear on her face:
- Tinted moisturiser to even out your complexion.
- Concealer to hide blemishes and lighten dark circles under your eyes.
- Mascara to open up your eyes.
- Lip gloss to give a glow to your lips while moisturising them.
Volonik also stresses that eyebrow grooming is essential. "Shaping your eyebrows properly will not only widen and lift your eyes, it will make your face look cleaner and brighter," she says.
If your hair is a tangled mess, don't fret. Beautifying it is easy.
- Get a haircut that is "styled according to the shape of your face, your height and weight," says Andy Agostino, a hair stylist from Avanti Le Spa.
- Maintain your style and keep your hair healthy by cutting it regularly. Agostino recommends cutting every two months to eliminate split ends.
- Opt for your hair's natural beauty to come through instead of the weekly blow dry. Simply use leave-in treatments that bring out your natural wave.
- Want volume? Sleep with your hair in a high ponytail, which will lift your hair by its roots. Just make sure to use an elastic that won't leave a mark.
Looking good merely requires that you follow some simple beauty rules. After all, looking good on the outside can definitely help you feel good on the inside.
Find more Beauty articles:
- 4 ways to ease stretch marks
- Great foods for great skin
- DIY manicures and pedicures
- Get a positive body image
- Protect your skin for summer
- Great hair from home
- Magically mulitply your make-up
- Ways you can fight the winter weight gain
- Rejuvenate your wardrobe
- 5 easy treatments you can do while doing something else
This article was originally written for Kidspot.com.au in conjunction with Weight Watchers as part of their Positively Life Changing initiative.