So you’ve had a busy day and you haven’t even started thinking about what to cook the hungry hordes for dinner. How’s this for an idea? Let’s get the kids in the kitchen to help make an easy dinner everyone will love!
From gathering to measuring out ingredients; cleaning and peeling vegetables to adding toppings, there are plenty of tasks kids can do to help with dinner preparation.
Here are 20 super simple dinner recipes that will take next to no time to make. Aside from the cooking and the cutting bits requiring grown-up assistance, these dinner ideas are easy enough for the kids to make.
They’ll be immensely proud of what they’ve achieved and might even develop a whole new appreciation for your nightly cooking efforts. Here’s hoping, anyway!
1. Three-ingredient mac and cheese
That’s right, just three simple ingredients and dinner is sorted. Have the kids stir through the cheese and watch them chow down on their cheesy creation.
- See here for the Three ingredient mac and cheese recipe.
2. Healthy fish fingers with guacamole
These delicious fish fingers are baked and not fried and kids DO love those golden crunchy crumbs. Here we serve them with a yummy side of guacamole that is so simple the kids could even make it.
- See here for the Healthy fish fingers with guacamole recipe.
3. Basic omelette
Nothing says ‘easy dinner’ like an omelette and this basic one is not only simple, it also packs a powerful protein punch. Get the kids sprinkling the ingredients and watch those plates come back entirely clean.
- See here for the Basic omelette recipe.
4. Veggie pikelets
Kids love pikelets. Have them add their own choice of veggies to the mixture for a yummy veggie alternative to the usual sweet variety. They’ll be coming back for seconds, guaranteed.
- See here for the Veggie pikelets recipe.
5. Simple pumpkin soup
Sweet, simple and easy to prepare, this delightful little number is an absolute cracker. Have the kids butter crusty white bread to accompany it and be rewarded with empty bowls.
- See here for the Simple pumpkin soup recipe.
6. Homemade Sizzler’s cheese toast
If you can’t face anything more than a grilled sambo for dinner this eve, get the kids putting together this legendary little number… Just like the one from Sizzler.
- See here for Homemade Sizzler’s cheese toast recipe.
7. Ham and pineapple pizza muffins
Got English muffins and left over ham on hand? Kids are going to lose their minds over this hands-on pizza idea.
- See here for the Ham and pineapple pizza muffins recipe.
8. Bull’s eye egg
An egg cooked in a piece of bread? Oh. My. God. Simple, quick and easy for kids to prepare. Winning.
- See here for the Bull’s eye egg recipe.
9. Microwave jacket potatoes
Got a microwave? Then you have jacket potatoes – in minutes! Kids, just add fillings. Too easy!
- See here for the Microwave jacket potatoes recipe.
10. Tasty homemade tacos
If you can’t face a kitchen of kids ‘helping’, you could always make these tacos. Have the kids put their own tacos together and it’s almost, sort of, like them cooking or at least, serving themselves.
- See here for the Tasty homemade tacos recipe.
11. Family-friendly chicken fajitas
Those Mexicans sure know how to do dinner. Here’s another great way to get the kids involved in preparing their own dinner to devour.
- See here for the Family-friendly chicken fajitas recipe.
12. Chicken nuggets
Who doesn’t love making a chicken nugget? Small parcels of yumminess that are just as fun for kids to make as they are to eat.
- See here for the Chicken nugget recipe.
13. Chicken and antipasto rice
For something a little fancier, this dish is perfect for your little one to impress grandma with when she come to visit.
- See here for the Chicken and antipasto rice recipe.
14. Kids pasta salad
For a simple, tasty salad that will satisfy, this pasta salad will keep little hands busy and little tummies full.
- See here for the Kids pasta salad recipe.
15. Mini pita pizzas
Did someone say mini pita pizzas? Kids are going to fall over themselves to add the toppings and chow down on these.
- See here for the Mini pita pizzas recipe.
16. Scrambled eggs
Whoever says scrambled eggs are a breakfast food has never tried eating them for dinner. Kids absolutely love it and will do a great job stirring the eggs in the pan.
- See here for the Scrambled eggs recipe.
17. Easy sausage rolls
Finger foods for dinner? You know your kids are going to flip for these. Have them roll the meat into the centre of the pastry.
- See here for the Easy sausage rolls recipe.
18. Easy spaghetti bolognese
This family favourite isn’t difficult for kids to master and is a great addition to their expanding repertoire.
- See here for the Easy spaghetti bolognese recipe.
19. Simple fried rice
Here’s a tasty dinner the kids can whip up for all without too much fuss. Go on, let them give it a go.
- See here for the Simple fried rice recipe.
20. Mini pizza torpedoes
And last, but not least, here is the ultimate kid-tastic dinner solution, a torpedo pizza. Creativity knows no limits with this simple, tasty dinner idea.
See here for the Mini pizza torpedoes recipe.