- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 100g butter
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dessicated coconut
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (topping)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (topping)
In a medium saucepan, heat the milk with the butter and golden syrup. Bring to the boil and whisk in the baking soda. Set aside to cool.
Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper and set aside.
In a bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking powder, brown sugar and coconut.
Whisk the egg into the milk and butter mixture.
Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, folding until just moist. Divide the mixture evenly between the muffin cups.
In a bowl, combine the brown sugar and rolled oats for the topping. Spoon topping evenly over each muffin cup. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
Cool in the tin for 5 mins and then let cool on a wire rack.
- Make sure your milk and butter mixture is cooled well before you add the egg, otherwise you will just get scrambled eggs.
- Do not overmix the ingredients as overmixing creates a “tough” muffin.
Find more muffin recipes:
- Choc chip muffins
- Cinnamon muffins
- Quick muffins
- Potato and bacon muffins
- Invisible apple muffins
- Raspberry muffins
- Banana and maple syrup muffins
- Oat, date and honey muffins
This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.