Blueberry and buttermilk muffins
- 1½ cups wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups blueberries (or other berries of choice)
Preheat oven to 180°C.
Line 12-hole muffin/cupcake pan with paper cases.
Mix flour and sugar together in a bowl.
Pour buttermilk, eggs and oil into another bowl and whisk with a fork until just combined.
Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
Add berries and stir.
Spoon into paper cases and bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Keep an eye out for cheap berries when you’re at the grocer or supermarket. When I spot a bargain, I buy two punnets and freeze the second for later use.
- The key to lovely light muffins is to keep the stirring to a minimum. Stir the ingredients until they are just combined to avoid heavy doorstop muffins.
- This recipe was created by Alana House for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Alana at Housegoeshome and on Twitter.
Find more muffin recipes:
- Choc chip muffins
- Cinnamon muffins
- Feta and spinach muffins
- Quick muffins
- Potato and bacon muffins
- Wholemeal pear and ginger muffins
- Invisible apple muffins
- Raspberry muffins
- Anzac muffins
- Banana and maple syrup muffins
- Oat, date and honey muffins