Coconut cherry slice
- 1/2 cup (115g) caster sugar
- 1 cup (85g) desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cups (300g) plain flour
- 200g butter, melted
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 cups cherries, pitted and roughly chopped
- 3 cups (250g) shredded coconut
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 cup (60g) caster sugar
Preheat oven to 180°C conventional (160°C fan-forced) and line a slice tin with baking paper.
To make the base, combine the caster sugar, desiccated coconut, cinnamon, plain flour, butter and honey.
Press evenly into the slice tin. Place in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden.
Let cool a little then cover with the cherries.
For the topping, combine the shredded coconut, egg whites and caster sugar in a bowl, mixing well.
Spread this over the cherries and return slice to oven for 20 minutes or until the coconut is golden and the fruit bubbling underneath.
Cool, then slice into bars to serve or keep in an airtight container.
Related slice recipes:
- Anzac slice
- Apple and sour cream slice
- Banana slice
- Caramel slice
- Cherry ripe slice
- Chocolate coconut slice
- Chocolate peppermint slice
- Coconut jam slice
- No-bake Nutella bars
- Too-easy lemon slice
- Oreo cheesecake slice
- You can use drained, bottled cherries in this recipe if fresh cherries are out of season.
- You could use any fresh or frozen berries like strawberry, blueberries or raspberries as well.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder: You can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.