Dotty sultana cake
Makes 22cm round cake
- 500g sultanas
- 250g unsalted butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups self-raising flour
Preheat oven to 150°C. Grease a 22cm round cake tin and line the base with baking paper.
Place the sultanas in a large saucepan, cover with water and boil for 10 minutes. Drain well and chop butter into pan, cover and leave butter to melt. Use an electric beater to beat the eggs and sugar until thick and creamy. Sift flour into pan, pour in egg mixture and mix until well combined.
Spoon cake mixture into prepared pan and smooth the surface. Bake for 1¼ – 1½ hours or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from oven. Set aside in the pan for 15 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
- This cake keeps well, is handy for lunchboxes, snacks and grown-ups afternoon teas. Buttery and moist, mmm-mmm.
- Freeze slices wrapped tightly in plastic wrap or freezer bags for up to a month. Defrost in the fridge overnight.
- Make gluten-free using gluten-free self-raising flour or plain flour and 5 teaspoons baking powder.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.