Jam drop biscuits
- å_ cup butter
- å_ cup raw sugar
- 1å_ cup wholemeal flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- å_ cup nuts, chopped
- å_ cup full-cream milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- å_ cup jam of your choice
Preheat oven to 180å¡C. Butter two large baking sheets and set aside. In a large mixing bowl using a fork, combine the butter and sugar until there are no lumps.
In one bowl mix together the flour, baking powder and nuts and in another bowl, mix together the milk and vanilla essence. Add 1/3 of the flour mix to the butter and sugar and combine. Add 1/3 of the milk mixture and then alternate until all ingredients have been combined to resemble a dough.
Using your hands, roll small balls of mixture into the size of a walnut and place on the baking sheet, leaving enough space for the biscuit to spread as it cooks.
Using your finger, press gently on each ball and then fill each one with about a teaspoon of jam.
Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden and cool completely on a wire rack before serving.
- Be sure to cool these biscuits completely before serving! Although theyåÕre really tempting, the jam is SO hot and will burn your mouth and continue to burn it very badly as its so sticky.
- These biscuits are just as good as if you were using plain flour and white sugar.
- You can easily alter the recipe to use caster sugar instead of raw sugar and white flour instead of wholemeal flour but I feel this version is much better all around.
This recipe was created by Kristine Duran-Thiessen for Kidspot, New ZealandåÕs best recipe finder