Pesto and parmesan muffins
- 50g butter, melted
- å_ cup milk
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- å_ cup (heaped) parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 180å¡C. Grease a large muffin tray
Melt butter and mix with the milk.
Place flour, pesto, parmesan, salt and pepper into a medium bowl. Make a slight well in the centre and add the eggs and pour in the milk and butter mixture.
Very gently, fold through all ingredients, cutting the mixture rather than stirring it.
Once well combined, portion the mixture into greased muffin tray and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
Remove and cool on baking rack
- The most important thing to do when making muffins is to fold and cut the mixture – the less you work the muffin mixture, the softer the texture will be.
- These muffins are very tasty, however you can mix and match the flavours if youåÕre not a fan of pesto- try cheese and tomato or fresh herbs and goat cheeseåÉ the list is endless.
- When adding pesto to the mixture, drop it in random spots on the flour instead of in one lump for even distribution.
- If you plan to freeze these for weekday lunch boxes, first cut the muffin in half and spread with margarine or butter – this way all you need to do is put the muffin in the lunch box straight from the freezer.
- Recipe created by Camilla Baker for Kidspot, New ZealandåÕs best recipe finder.