20 pies the whole family will love
When it comes to a meal that will please the whole clan, it’s hard to go past the humble pie! There’s just something about popping one on the dining table that can’t fail to excite feelings of warmth, comfort and familial love. From sweet to savoury and little pot pies too, here are 20 of our favourites.
These pies are the essence of family dining – hearty enough to satisfy everyone and so delicious that even the fussiest eater will succumb!
1. Family meat pie
You can’t get more Kiwi than this.
- See here for the Family meat pie recipe.
2. Chicken pie
There’s something just so wholesome about a chicken pie – and this one’s packed with veggies too, so you can feel extra virtuous.
- See here for the Chicken pie recipe.
3. Easy fish pie
If, like many, you struggle to get your kids to eat fish, this delicious but incredibly simple fish pie will have them begging for seconds.
- See here for the Easy fish pie recipe.
4. Beef and onion pie
Perfect for footy night. (Or movie night. Or any night of the week.)
- See here for the Beef and onion pie recipe.
Pies don’t have to mean pastry. Try these delicious pies topped with everything from potatoes to cheese.
5. Shepherd’s pie
Winter comfort food doesn’t come much better than every mum’s favourite standby, shepherd’s pie.
- See here for the Shepherd’s pie recipe.
Step aside, tacos. Stand back, enchiladas. Move to the rear, nachos. The Mexi-pie is in town.
- See here for the Mexi- pie recipe.
7. Family fish pie
Delicious fish in a creamy sauce topped with fluffy mashed potato … need more convincing?
- See here for the Family fish pie recipe.
8. Sausage pie
Sausage. Pie. Queue a horde of salivating youngsters begging to know when dinner will be ready!
- See here for the Sausage pie recipe.
9. Lamb, sweet potato and tomato pie
A delectable new take on your standard pie that will have you wondering why you’ve never made it before.
- See here for the Lamb, sweet potato and tomato pie recipe.
Save yourself the ‘his piece is bigger than mine’ heartache with these adorable little mini pies – perfect for dinners, parties and even lunch boxes.
10. Beef Bourguignon pies
So petite, so French, so magnifique!
- See here for the Beef Bourguignon pies recipe.
11. Super healthy cottage pie
Pies don’t have to be off the menu just because you’re watching your waistline … this one’s super healthy, but still hearty.
- See here for the Super healthy cottage pie recipe.
12. Chicken party pies
Our advice? Make lots.
- See here for the Chicken party pies recipe.
13. Baby lamb balti pies
A novel new way to serve up some yummy Indian cuisine, these are delicious with samosas. Make eight little ones or one big one.
- See here for the Baby lamb balti pies recipe.
14. Potato, bacon and egg pies
Whether they’re served up for breakfast, lunch or dinner, one thing’s for certain – they’ll be wolfed down in a matter of minutes.
- See here for the Potato, bacon and egg pies.
15. Rocket and mushroom pies
With a ‘crust’ made from bread, these tasty and healthy pies are perfect in lunch boxes.
- See here for the Rocket and mushroom pies recipe.
Present a pie at dessert time and you’ll have well and truly earnt your crust in the kitchen. (See what I did there?)
16. Banoffee pie
The most cheat-tastic recipe ever – whip it up in a jiffy and say nothing as the praise rolls in.
- See here for the Banoffee pie recipe.
17. Blackberry pie
Just six ingredients (less if you cheat and use shortcrust pastry) and you’ll have a pie worthy of any bake-off.
- See here for the Blackberry pie recipe.
18. Apple pie recipe
Needs no introduction. Heaven on a plate.
- See here for the Apple pie recipe.
19. Lemon meringue pie
My favourite pie growing up and the first one I ever tried to make. This version is officially much better.
- See here for the Lemon meringue pie recipe.
20. Pecan pie
There’s a reason this southern US dish is a festive favourite – it’s super tasty, y’all!
- See here for the Pecan pie recipe.