25 tasty ways to use up mince from your freezer (no spag bol guaranteed!)
Ahh, mince. So versatile, so beloved by children, so … cheap. (In the nicest possible way, mince.) But if, like me, your mince repertoire has been ‘bogged’ down by repeat offerings of spag bol, it’s time to spice things up! Here are 25 new offerings sure to appeal to the whole family.
Marvellous meatballs (and a rogue kofta)
Kids love meatballs and you’ll love how simple (and secretly rather fun!) they are to make.
1. Veal meatballs
When you want to feed an army in a hurry and on the cheap, roll these babies between your mitts!
- See here for the Veal meatballs recipe.
2. Tray-baked penne with meatballs
So simple the kids can help you rustle them up – and even the fussiest eater will devour them with joy.
- See here for the Tray-baked penne with meatballs recipe.
3. Tomato meatballs
Deliciously simple and simply delicious!
- See here for the Tomato meatballs recipe.
4. Swedish meatballs with dill potatoes
You don’t have to put yourself on the Ikea conveyor belt just to get your Swedish meatball fix anymore. Just throw these little beauties together in the comfort of your own home!
- See here for the Swedish meatballs with dill potatoes recipe.
5. Slow cooker meatballs
If you can cope with being up to your elbows in mince before 9am, you will be rewarded with some plump and delicious meatballs in a rich tomato sauce at the end of the day. Sweet reward.
- See here for the Slow cooker meatballs recipe.
6. Beef and feta koftas
Can’t face another meatball? Make some yummy koftas instead! Served on flatbread with yoghurt and a salad and you’ve got all the food groups covered!
- See here for the Beef and feta koftas recipe.
Mexican and mince make very good amigos. Si?
7. Easy chilli con carne
This Mexican classic is so easy to make and the heat factor can easily be adjusted to cater for sensitive little tastebuds.
- See here for the Easy chilli con carne recipe.
8. Tex-Mex burgers
Some taco seasoning adds the perfect flavour burst to these yummy burgers, served with lots of salad veggies to remove any guilt.
- See here for the Tex-Mex burgers recipe.
9. Tasty tacos
There’s something about assembling tacos together at the table that is rather bonding. Make it a family ritual!
- See here for the Tasty tacos recipe.
10. Mexican tortilla bake
It’s Meck-i-ko’s answer to the lasagne, using tortillas instead of pasta sheets. Arriba!
- See here for the Mexican tortilla bake recipe.
11. Mince fajitas
Again, kids will love the whole ‘pull up a chair and roll your own’ concept – while you’ll love all the veggies they’re getting.
- See here for the Mince fajitas recipe.
Party food and footy night fare
Whether you’re handing them around at your next shindig or scoffing them down in front of the telly on footy night, the one thing you can be guaranteed of is an empty plate by the end.
12. Sloppy Joes
Have plenty of napkins on hand or dust off the bibs – it’s a-gonna get messy!
- See here for the Sloppy Joes recipe.
13. Sausage rolls
Homemade sausage rolls leave the store-bought ones for dust. Or rather, crumbs.
- See here for the Sausage rolls recipe.
Sick of having to brave the gozleme queue at the food court or street fair? Problem solved … make your own and serve yourself first!
- See here for the Gozleme recipe.
This ‘meat pizza’ might sound like the most unhealthy dinner in the universe, but it’s actually a deliciously low-GI, Paleo-style offering. That just happens to taste sensational.
- See here for the Meatza recipe.
16. Friday takeaway hamburgers
The title says it all. Mind you, the only ‘taking away’ you’ll be doing is the truckload of compliments from the eager recipients.
- See here for the Friday takeaway hamburgers recipe.
Old school mince
Just like Mum – or even Gran – used to make. But even better! (Shh …)
17. Shepherd’s pie
Comfort food doesn’t get much more, um, comforting.
- See here for the Shepherd’s pie recipe.
18. Savoury mince
OK, so the title wasn’t the most imaginative they could have come up with, but this no frills dish with its simple flavours is a winner with kids (especially fussy eaters) and husbands. And great on toast the next day!
- See here for the Savoury mince recipe.
19. Tomato-glazed meatloaf
Once your family has wolfed this down, you’ll wonder why meatloaf ever went out of style.
- See here for the Tomato-glazed meatloaf recipe.
20. Tomato mince and potato bake
This twist on a meatloaf makes the perfect midweek meal, not least because you can serve it up on a sandwich the next day.
- See here for the Tomato mince and potato bake recipe.
21. Mince stroganoff
Rich, hearty and full of flavour, it’s the perfect dish for a chilly night.
- See here for the Mince stroganoff recipe.
Go on a mince-tastic journey around the globe with these tasty offerings.
22. Spiced mince with hummus
Serve on a flatbread with added pine nuts and parsley for the perfect weekend lunch.
- See here for the Spiced mince with hummus recipe.
23. BBQ beef san choi bao
The most fun your kids will ever have eating lettuce.
- See here for the BBQ beef san choi bao recipe.
24. Pork and prawn dumplings
Like yum cha? Then you’ll love these! And so will most kids.
- See here for the Pork and prawn dumplings recipe.
25. Mince chow mein
Thanks to two-minute noodles and a chow mein sachet base, you’ll have this meal on the table in a jiffy, where it will get munched down just as quickly.
- See here for the Mince chow mein recipe.