35 never fail BBQ recipes
Posh nosh, or simple kid-friendly fodder, either way, hosting an outdoor barbecue is your ticket to perfect home dining. A backyard barbecue is the NZ way of bringing special people and great food together – no doubt about it! So what are you waiting for?
Here are 35 ways to serve up a feast from the comfort of your own back deck.
1. Beef skewers with peanut sauce
Serve up some tender meat on a stick, and you can never go wrong … especially when it’s served alongside a flavour-packed dipping sauce!
- See here for the Beef skewers with peanut sauce recipe.
2. Chicken rissoles with sweet chilli mango salad
What’s a barbecue without some good old-fashioned rissoles? This dish ensures that you’ll never have to find out!
- See here for the Chicken rissoles with sweet chilli mango salad recipe.
3. Lemon garlic prawns
For a light summer meal with plenty of zest, you can’t go past this grilled seafood staple. Best make extra, cos these little swimmers will be super popular.
- See here for the Lemon garlic prawns recipe.
4. Mini lamb burgers
Looking for tasty finger food to satisfy a hungry crowd? These more-ish little bites will hit the spot like nothing else can.
- See here for the Mini lamb burgers recipe.
5. Barbecue pork ribs
Sticky, sweet and everything you could possibly hope for from a rack of juicy pork. If you’ve never made your own, now is the time.
- See here for the Barbecue pork ribs recipe.
6. Garlic and coriander chicken
Easy enough to make midweek, this barbecue chicken recipe is sensational on a bed of fluffy rice.
- See here for the Garlic and coriander chicken recipe.
7. Steak with creamy mushroom sauce
There’s nothing like a good piece of rump steak swimming in a mouth-watering mushroom sauce bath. Is it dinner time yet?
- See here for the Steak with creamy mushroom sauce recipe.
8. Barbecued salmon with asparagus
This fuss-free dish is full of goodness and bursting with fresh ingredients. Trust us, every bite is pure joy.
- See here for the Barbecued salmon with asparagus recipe.
9. Beef with lemon balsamic marinade
Turn any piece of red meat into a feast fit for a king, with this divine cooking sauce. Bon appetite!
- See here for the Beef with lemon balsamic marinade recipe.
10. Asian noodle salad
Full of crunch and nutty flavours, this salad is the ideal accompaniment to a meaty barbecue meal.
- See here for the Asian noodle salad recipe.
11. Potato salad
A backyard barbie without a creamy potato salad just wouldn’t be right, especially when it’s a recipe as good as this.
- See here for the Potato salad recipe.
12. Baby Caprese salad
Bocconcini, cherry tomatoes and baby basil leaves combine to create one of the most simple yet delightful salads ever invented. So yum!
- See here for the Baby Caprese salad recipe
13. Summery chickpea salad
This tasty salad goes well with any barbecue main, and is just as great the next day as a leftovers lunch.
- See here for the Summery chickpea salad recipe.
14. Fig, prosciutto and pine nut salad
Here’s an exciting way to add extra flavour to your next outdoor feast. And it will take you all of five minutes to throw together.
- See here for the Fig, prosciutto and pine nut salad recipe.
15. Pumpkin, potato and rocket salad
Inject some lovely roasted carbs into your next barbecue. This salad mixed with peppery fresh rocket ticks all the boxes.
- See here for the Pumpkin, potato and rocket salad recipe.
16. Crunchy quinoa salad
Crisp veggies and aromatic herbs come together to make a colourful salad that doubles as a pretty table centrepiece. Bonus!
- See here for the Crunchy quinoa salad recipe.
17. Warm broccoli and avocado salad
Particularly good with chicken and fish, this is one salad that could easily outshine the rest of your menu. Perfection plus.
- See here for the Warm broccoli and avocado salad recipe.
18. Caramelised onions
This homemade onion relish will transform plain meat and sausages into a culinary experience you won’t want to miss.
- See here for the Caramelised onions recipe.
19. Easy tortillas
Soak up all those succulent barbecue juices with this recipe for golden flatbreads. Budget-friendly and utterly delish.
- See here for the Easy tortilla recipe.
20. Zucchini chips
These crispy baked bites will satisfy your craving for hot chips, but in an extra healthy kind of way.
- See here for the Zucchini chips recipe.
21. Sweet corn hash
This sweet but salty side dish is destined to make a regular appearance on your dining table, that’s our bold prediction.
- See here for the Sweet corn hash recipe.
22. Creamy cheese and garlic potato bake
Quick, easy and extremely delicious! What more could you possibly want from a crowd-pleasing side?
- See here for the French onion potato bake recipe.
23. California salsa
For a burst of spicy goodness, this tomato, chilli and coriander mix will set your tastebuds alight!
- See here for the California salsa recipe.
24. Homemade Sizzler’s cheese toast
Whack a few slabs of this thick cut, cheese-soaked bread on the barbie for a truly unique taste sensation.
- See here for the Homemade Sizzler’s cheese toast recipe.
25. Onion rings
Deep or shallow-fried, a big bowl of these scrummy babies will make your weekend barbecue complete.
- See here for the Onion rings recipe.
26. Frozen honeycomb slice
This creative take on a traditional ice cream dessert will receive rapturous applause from all those who are lucky enough to try it.
- See here for the Frozen honeycomb slice recipe.
27. Salted caramel tarts
The most divine way to end any barbecue meal – all you need is three ingredients and 10 minutes, and voila, dessert is ready!
- See here for the Salted caramel tarts recipe.
28. Baked cinnamon doughnuts with Nutella filling
Nutella lovers will think all their Christmases have come at once, when you serve up these decadent sweet treats.
- See here for the Baked cinnamon doughnuts with Nutella filling recipe.
29. Hearts and stars fruit salad
Not crazy about sugary desserts? This cute fruit salad with pretty cut-out shapes is a healthy alternative.
- See here for the Hearts and stars fruit salad recipe.
You can’t get more authentic than this! After your fab NZ barbecue, a wedge of this classic and much-loved dessert will go down a treat.
- See here for the Pavlova recipe.
31. Banana fritters
Sometimes the most simple dessert is often the best. Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup and a scoop of ice cream – this dish never disappoints.
- See here for the Banana fritters recipe.
32. Lemon meringue pie
A lip-smacking combo of fluffy, gooey, and crumbly bits, this dessert offering is always a family fave.
- See here for the Lemon meringue pie recipe.
33. 2-ingredient white chocolate mousse
Need to whip up an exciting dessert in a hurry? Impress the fussiest of guests with a helping of this velvety little secret.
- See here for the 2-ingredient white chocolate mousse recipe.
34. Ambrosia salad
Delight the kids (and grown-ups) with this fun take on a traditional fruit salad – laden with a few extra surprises. It’ll be an instant winner.
- See here for the Ambrosia salad recipe.
35. Mango cheesecake with passionfruit sauce
This no-bake irresistible cheesecake is a cinch to make, but packs plenty of wow-power on the table and in your mouth.
- See here for the Mango cheesecake with passionfruit sauce recipe.