10 super schnitzel recipes plus 10 scrummy sides
Schnitzel must be one of the most popular family dinners. And whether your family fave is a basic chicken in breadcrumbs or something a little bit more fancy schmancy, there is always room for just one more schnitzel recipe. To prove it, here are 10 of the best with 10 equally delicious sides that will pair perfectly with any, and all, of them.
10 super schnitzel recipes
1. Family chicken schnitzel
This is just one of those family meals that you know will please everyone. Hurrah for clean plates and no fuss!
- Find the recipe for this yummy Chicken schnitzel here.
2. Healthy chicken schnitzel
Just as yum as your regular schnitzel, this version has been given a healthy makeover thanks to the trick of baking the chicken instead of frying. Enjoy
- Try this Healthy chicken schnitzel recipe.
3. Garlic chicken schnitzel
Packed full of flavour, this schnitzel has a bit of flair thanks to the easy-peasy addition of garlic powder to its crumb. Bon appétit!
- Click here for the Garlic chicken schnitzel recipe.
4. Crunchy chicken schnitzel
Crunchy food is good food, non? Cornflakes are the secret ingredient here.
- Check out this recipe for Crunchy chicken schnitzel.
5. Veal schnitzel
Schnitzel is traditionally made with veal (you’ll see it on menus as wiener schnitzel) so give chicken a rest and give this German staple a whirl instead.
- Here’s the recipe for traditional Veal schnitzel.
6. Chicken schnitzel sandwich
Great for using up leftovers and perfect for lunch boxes, this schnitz sambo is ridiculously good.
- Conjure up some lunch box magic with this Chicken schnitzel sandwich recipe.
7. Easy chicken schnitzel
What’s better than a chicken schnitzel? Why, an EASY chicken schnitzel, of course. This one comes with its own snow pea salad to boot. Dinner. Done.
- Try this easy chicken schnitzel recipe.
8. Parmesan crumb schnitzel
A hint of parmesan cheese in the crunchy coating for this little number gives a cheesy flavour, which only adds to the deliciousness. Dig in!
- Find the recipe for this Parmesan crumb schnitzel here.
9. Japanese pork schnitzel
Chopsticks at the ready because this Japanese take on schnitzel is Asian-styled perfection.
- This recipe includes how to make Tonkatsu sauce; perfect to dip sizzling chunks of this flavoursome schnitzel in.
10. Panko-crumbed schnitzel
Find panko breadcrumbs in the Asian aisle of supermarket. They add the most delectable crunch to a recipe, including this schnitzel.
- Here’s how to make this super crunchy schnitzel with a crispy crumb like no other.
10 scrummy sides
1. Hasselback potatoes
Like roasties? Then you’ll LOVE these! The clever slicing trick makes these the crispiest, crunchiest roast potatoes you’ll have ever tasted.
- Take potatoes to new levels of heaven with this recipe for Hasselback potatoes.
2. Simple French onion potato bake
Who knew that a packet of French onion soup could do THIS to the humble spud? So simple, so tasty.
- Be a little bit fancy with this super simple French onion potato bake recipe.
3. Paris mashed potatoes
Oh, the French do know their food, don’t they? Look what they do to some mashed spuds to create a gastronomic delight. Sounds fancy, is easy, tastes fantastic. That’s all you need to know.
- Put these Paris mashed potatoes on the menu tonight, sit back and soak up the adulation.
4. Broccoli with garlic and almonds
I cook these without the almonds for my kids (because they’re fussy about nuts) and with them for the adults. It’s just that little bit spesh and goes wonderfully with the crunch of a perfect schnitzel.
- Try this Broccoli with garlic and almonds recipe here.
5. Roasted vegetables with chives
Who knew that a simple herb like chives could do such wonders to roast veggies? One of those ‘chop ‘em up and bung ‘em in the oven’ recipes, this one’s got a yoghurty sauce that goes sublimely with schnitzel.
- Enjoy the recipe for Roasted vegetables with chives here.
6. Peas and bacon
You could whack some frozen peas in the microwave OR you could try this marriage made in heaven – sweet peas with salty bacon. Try it. Your schnitzel will love you for it.
- Click here for the Peas and bacon recipe.
7. Maple-roasted pumpkin
Oh my! A drizzle of maple syrup does wonderful things to roast pumpkin. Try it and see just how well the gentle sweetness goes with your schnitzel.
- Here’s the recipe for Maple-roasted pumpkin.
8. Crispy onion rings
Naughty but oh-so-nice. Who knew they could be so easy to make? Win!
- Click here for this Crispy onion ring recipe.
9. Polenta chips
No longer just the preserve of trendy restaurants, polenta chips are soooo simple to whip up and make a nice change from your regular hot chips. This recipe has got a particularly fine tomato sauce to go with them too.
- Have a go at making Polenta chips with this recipe.
10. Zucchini and eggplant gratin
Such an easy way to get a double whammy of veggies into the kids, this side is a meal in itself (plus the cheesy tomato sauce goes exceptionally well with whatever schnitzel recipe tickles your fancy).
- Enjoy the sight of plates scraped clean with this Zucchini and eggplant gratin recipe.