40 great ice cream desserts
Forget baked chocolate puddings and hot apple pies, the best desserts of all come out of the freezer, not the oven – am I right? Ice cream is the way to every kid’s heart and, I think you’ll find, to every grown-up’s heart too.
Here are 40 wow-ish ways to serve up mountains of the frozen stuff!
Ice cream cakes
1. Cookies and cream ice cream cake
Requiring just four ingredients, you will be impressed with how easy this frozen dessert is to make – but what’s more impressive is the OMG taste.
- See here for the Cookies and cream ice cream cake recipe.
2. Coconut and raspberry ice cream cake
This special occasion cake is guaranteed to evoke plenty of ‘oohs’ and ‘aahs’ from your guests. It looks amazing and the flavour is pretty out-of-this-world too.
- See here for the Coconut and raspberry ice cream cake recipe.
3. Snickers ice cream cake
Looking for a cake that requires minimum effort, for maximum impact? Look no further than this! All of your dessert dreams will be answered right here.
- See here for the Snickers ice cream cake recipe.
4. Popsicle birthday cake
If ever there was a prize for the cleverest ice cream a mum could make, then this little number definitely takes the cake (excuse the pun!).
- See here for the Popsicle birthday cake recipe.
5. Chewy meringue and mango sorbet cake
Gather around, mums and dads. This is one little secret you will want to keep hidden from the kids, because it’s time for the grown-ups to have some fun too!
- See here for the Chewy meringue and mango sorbet cake recipe.
6. Ice cream birthday cake
Opting to make a birthday cake instead of buying one can be a real stress-fest. Why not go halfway and fashion a cake out of a tub of ice cream – it can be done and we’ll show you how.
- See here for the Ice cream birthday cake recipe.
Classic ice cream desserts
7. Fruity gelato
This fab recipe can be adapted to incorporate your favourite seasonal fruits, and is a healthier alternative to regular ice cream (but just as divine!).
- See here for the Fruity gelato recipe.
8. Chocolate banana ice cream
It’s like a marriage made in heaven – these two classic flavours combine to make an icy offering that will set your whole family’s hearts aflutter. Just watch.
- See here for the Chocolate banana ice cream recipe.
9. Rocky road ice cream sundae
For a splendid end to a special weekend dinner, this easy ice cream dessert can be assembled in just a few minutes. There’ll be happy faces all round, guaranteed.
- See here for the Rocky road ice cream sundae recipe.
10. Chocolate mint ice cream balls
Looking for a low-fat dessert that still packs plenty of punch in the flavour department? This nifty recipe will definitely do the trick.
- See here for the Chocolate mint ice cream balls recipe.
11. Strawberry ice cream
Whip up this fluffy pink ice cream as a weekend treat for everyone. Nothing beats the taste of ice cream made with real berries. So yum!
- See here for the Strawberry ice cream recipe.
12. Banana splits
A bad day will instantly fade away when you pop this colourful banana split down on the table. Just the look of it will turn that frown upside down.
- See here for the Banana splits recipe.
Quick ice cream desserts
13. One ingredient ice cream
Yes, you absolutely read that correctly. Only ONE thing stands between you and a mouthful of frozen yumminess!
- See here for the One ingredient ice cream recipe.
14. 2 ingredient lemon sorbet
Mighty refreshing on a hot day, or after a heavy meal, this twist on a traditional sorbet will leave your tastebuds dancing.
- See here for the 2 ingredient lemon sorbet recipe.
15. 2 ingredient creamy ice cream
Add a teaspoon of vanilla to this velvety dessert to turn it into the creamiest vanilla ice cream you’ve ever tasted.
- See here for the 2 ingredient creamy ice cream recipe.
16. 3 ingredient mango ice cream
Get set to be utterly and pleasantly surprised. This gem of a recipe will be one you come back to time and time again – at the kids’ insistence of course!
- See here for the 3 ingredient mango ice cream recipe.
Gourmet ice cream desserts
17. Apricot and honey frozen yoghurt
Mix it up a bit with a frozen yoghurt dessert, instead of traditional ice cream. Made with fresh apricots, this recipe is ripe for the summer months.
- See here for the Apricot and honey frozen yoghurt recipe.
18. Cherry and vanilla choc tops
Homemade choc-tops are always a hit especially when made with this yummy cherry ice cream. The simple things in life are always the best.
- See here for the Cherry and vanilla choc tops recipe.
19. Honeydew sorbet
This diet-friendly dessert with hints of lime and basil will end your meal with a stylish and sophisticated bang! It’s right at the top of the ‘wow’ scale.
- See here for the Honeydew sorbet recipe.
20. Ginger ice cream
It may not sound that appealing, but trust us, once you’ve had your first spoon you’ll never look back. The lesson here is: NEVER judge an ice cream by its name.
- See here for the Ginger ice cream recipe.
21. Easy mango granita
This easy frozen treat could fast become a family favourite. Dairy-free and sugar-free, what’s not to love about this fruity delight?
- See here for the Easy mango granita recipe.
22. Honey and tea ice cream
If you consider yourself a bit of an ice cream connoisseur, then this little number will be right up your alley.
- See here for the Honey and tea ice cream recipe.
Ice cream slices and sandwiches
23. Frozen honeycomb slice
Need dessert for a crowd? This is the ultimate solution. With heaps of crunch and oodles of taste, you best make enough for seconds!
- See here for the Frozen honeycomb slice recipe.
24. Coco Pops ice cream sandwiches
The kids won’t believe their eyes when they spot these irresistible ice cream bites. And believe us, they taste every bit as good as they look.
- See here for the Coco Pops ice cream sandwiches recipe.
25. Party-perfect ice cream slice
Pass these around at your next shindig and you’ll be the toast of the party. Now that’s what we call clever catering!
- See here for the Party-perfect ice cream slice recipe.
26. Round ice cream sandwiches
Vanilla ice cream, chocolate bickies and chocolate sprinkles … this recipe just screams ‘Sunday night dessert’, in my professional opinion.
- See here for the Round ice cream sandwiches recipe.
FUN ice cream desserts
27. Ice cream in a can
This is both an uber-cool science experiment and a tasty dessert in one! The kids will think Christmas has come early this year.
- See here for the Ice cream in a can recipe.
28. Ice cream tacos
Little ones will have an absolute ball decorating these desserts in whatever way they wish. It’s time to let their imaginations run wild.
- See here for the Ice cream tacos recipe.
29. Homemade ice magic
The wow-factor never gets old with this magical chocolate topping. Make your own instead of buying it, and the kids will never even know the difference.
- See here for the Homemade ice magic recipe.
30. Edible ice cream baskets
Forget about serving ice cream in a tasteless wafer cone, these crunchy baskets are much more fun and a whole lot more satisfying too.
- See here for the Edible ice cream baskets recipe.
Ice blocks and popsicles
31. Homemade chocolate popsicles
Make a sweet chocolate custard, pour into moulds and freeze. It’s THAT simple to make your own choccie Paddle Pops, and they are so much nicer than the store-bought version.
- See here for the Homemade chocolate popsicles recipe.
32. Baby yoghurt ice blocks
This is the perfect ice cream dessert for tots just starting out on their food journey – and the big kids won’t knock them back either!
See here for the Baby yoghurt ice blocks recipe.
33. Angel ice creams
Christmas, birthday, whatever the occasion, these colourful dipped ice creams will add a touch of something special to the day.
- See here for the Angel ice creams recipe.
34. School day frozen smoothies
Your kids will be the envy of the playground when you add one of these slurpy snacks to the lunch box. And you’ll be the coolest mum that ever walked the earth. Promise!
- See here for the School day frozen smoothies recipe.
35. Creamy mango ice blocks
Let these tropical delights transport you to a sun-drenched beach far, far away. OK, I know it’s only an ice block but it definitely tastes like a summer holiday.
See here for the Creamy mango ice blocks recipe.
36. No-drip ice blocks
So easy, you’ll wonder why you didn’t think of this before! These colourful ice blocks are great for the messy little eaters in your life.
- See here for the No-drip ice blocks recipe.
37. Watermelon pops
Strictly speaking, this is not ice cream. But it will certainly hit the spot in much the same way. It’s cool, refreshing and a little bit zingy.
- See here for the Watermelon pops recipe.
38. Frozen yoghurt pops
This is how you cheat your way into the kids’ good books. You barely have to lift a finger to make these icy-good sweets.
- See here for the Frozen yoghurt pops recipe.
39. Nutella popsicles
Here’s an entirely new way to indulge in Australia’s fave chocolate spread. Be prepared to fall in love all over again.
- See here for the Nutella popsicles recipe.
40. Mango and apple treats
Try this fabulously fruity way to let the littlest members of your family in on the ice cream fun – this is particularly good for those that are teething.
- See here for the Mango and apple treats recipe.