18 old fashioned winter desserts to make you glad it’s cold!
Fancy shmancy desserts that look like a work of art are all well and good on a reality cooking show, but when you want to lay down a dessert that the family will wolf down with joy, you can’t go past a classic, old-school pudding. Crumbles, cobblers, sweet pies, rice puds … the memories they evoke of growing up are almost as comforting as the food itself. Grab a spoon and dig in!
Easy to make, delicious to eat, a humble crumble will warm the cockles of the coldest winter tummy.
1. Apple and blackberry crumble
Apple and blackberry make the perfect tart foil for the heavenly crumble topping.
- See here for the Apple and blackberry crumble recipe.
2. Pear and berry crumble
Pears make a deliciously sweet alternative to apples in a crumble. Pair them with whatever berries you have on offer. (Anyone notice that deliciously sweet play on words I just did? No accident, my friends.)
- See here for the Pear and berry crumble recipe.
3. Cherry crumble
When you’ve finished wearing them as earrings, turn your cherries into dessert nirvana by rustling up this divine crumble.
- See here for the Cherry crumble recipe.
4. Apple and blueberry crumble
Is it just me, or does the word crumble start getting funnier every time you read it? Still no less yummy though …
- See here for the Apple and blueberry crumble recipe.
5. Rhubarb and apple crumble
Brad and Angelina, Kim and Kanye, rhubarb and apple. Some things were just made for each other.
- See here for the Rhubarb and apple crumble recipe.
Cobblers and pies
Delicious stewed fruit surrounded by a comforting crust. Desserts don’t get much warmer or cosier than this.
6. Easy pear cobbler
Cobbler. Even more ridiculous a word than crumble. May I gobble your cobbler? Tee hee.
See here for the Easy pear cobbler recipe.
7. Pecan pie
There's a reason this southern US dish is an old fashioned favourite - it's super tasty y'all!
8. Mini apple pies
The only thing more comforting than a serve of apple pie accompanied by a big dollop of ice-cream? Getting a pie all to yourself!
See here for the Mini apple pies recipe.
Bread and butter puddings
Bread and butter. On its own, not altogether exciting. Turn it into a pudding, however, and it’s the best thing since, um, sliced bread.
9. Bread and butter pudding
The ol’ faithful version, just like Granny used to make. (If you had a granny that used to make bread and butter puddings).
- See here for the Bread and butter pudding recipe.
10. Chocolate bread and butter pudding
Just like Granny used to make, but with chocolate. So even better. (Sorry Gran!)
- See here for the Chocolate bread and butter pudding.
11. Raspberry chocolate bread and butter pudding
Just like Granny used to make, but with chocolate and raspberries. Oh come on, you’re just getting greedy now.
- See here for the Raspberry chocolate bread and butter pudding recipe.
Rich, creamy and filling, rice puddings are a traditional winter dessert from days of yore that your kids will go crazy for.
12. Slow cooker traditional rice pudding
Simple to make which is a bonus, because you’ll be asked to make it again and again and again …
- See here for the Slow cooker rice pudding recipe.
13. Brown rice pudding with cinnamon
The brown rice adds a deliciously rich nutty taste and brownie points on the nutritional front.
- See here for the Brown rice pudding with cinnamon recipe.
14. Rice pudding with glazed pears and hazelnuts
This looks a bit fancy and Masterchef-y, but is a cinch to make and kids of all ages will love it.
- See here for the Rice pudding with glazed pears and hazelnuts recipe.
These classic puds have been passed down from generation to generation. With good reason.
15. Golden syrup dumplings
Sticky, gooey, sweet puffs of joy.
- See here for the Golden syrup dumplings recipe.
16. Butterscotch self-saucing pudding
Present it at the table and wait for the collective ‘mmm’ as the family watches the sauce trickle down the sides. This is what memories are made of, people.
- See here for the Butterscotch self-saucing pudding recipe.
17. Chocolate self-saucing pudding
There’s just something about a pudding that sauces itself … See above for serving instructions!
- See here for the Chocolate self-saucing pudding recipe.
18. Sticky date pudding
Has its own special place in the Most Decadently Delicious Desserts Hall of Fame.
- See here for the Sticky date pudding recipe.