Eye fillet steaks with red wine sauce recipe
Egg free, Gluten free, Lactose free, Nut free
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 x 180g beef eye fillet steaks
- 1 cup (250mL) red wine
- 2 cups (500mL) beef stock (gluten-free)
- 20g butter
- Freshly ground black pepper
Heat a non-stick frying pan to high heat. Brush steaks with oil and cook as desired (3-4 minutes each side for medium).
Remove to plate, cover with foil.
Heat pan over high heat and pour in wine, simmer until reduced by half (about 5 minutes), pour in stock, return to boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add butter and pepper to taste.
Serve steaks in a lake of sauce with some mash and a green side dish.
- Eye fillet steak is a real treat – expensive but oh so tender.
- A very quick and impressive entertaining dish (make the sauce in advance).
- This makes quite a lot of sauce, I usually have enough left over to freeze some and use some more to flavour a soup or casserole.
- If you prefer a thicker sauce, simmer longer and maybe thicken with 1 tablespoon cornflour dissolved in cold water.
- Try other flavours in the sauce: tomato paste, mushrooms, bacon, onion, garlic or tomatoes.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.