Silverbeet surprise recipe
Egg free, Gluten free, Lactose free
- 1 bunch silverbeet (12 leaves and stems)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ cup currants
- ½ cup pistachios
Cut stems from leaves. Wash stems and slice into 5mm strips.
Wash leaves (very well), roll up and slice 1cm thick.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frypan and sauté onion and stems for 5 minutes.
Add garlic and sauté for another two minutes.
Add silver beet leaves and remaining oil, stir well to coat in onion mixture.
Cover for a few minutes until leaves soften, then add currants and nuts.
Stir gently until well combined.
Serve on it’s own or with grilled meat (we had it with the eye fillet).
- The surprise being that this silverbeet is very edible! Unlike horrid memories of boiled silver beet at residential college.
- My beloved husband often does an emergency-milk-and-bread run and returns home with an ingredient that defies incorporation into my weekly menu.
- Thanks to some hints from Stephanie Alexander, the leafy greens were a hit!
- Leftovers were yummy on toast for lunch the next day.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.