Sticky date pudding recipe
- 250g pitted dates, chopped
- 300mL water
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 75g unsalted butter
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Thick cream, to serve
- 200mL cream
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 60g unsalted butter
Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a lamington tray (20cm x 30cm) and line with baking paper.
Place dates and water in saucepan and bring to boil.
Add bicarb (impressive fizzing), then butter, stir until butter melts.
Stir in flour, sugar and eggs.
Pour into prepared tray and bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
Allow to cool in tray for 10 minutes, then turn onto wire rack.
To make sauce, mix cream, sugar and butter over low heat until butter has melted.
To serve, cut cake into squares, pour over sauce and add a good dollop of cream. Mmmm.
- I like this recipe because you can make the cake and sauce in advance and reheat just before serving.
- I made a gluten-free version using gluten-free flour and baking powder.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.