Beef stroganoff recipe
- 1kg rump steak, sliced into thin strips
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, sliced into segments
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp beef stock powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 500g button mushrooms, halved
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 200ml light sour cream
- 4 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, chopped
In a frying pan heat a tablespoon of vegetable oil and fry the beef strips in small batches to brown and seal in the flavour. Add a little more oil to the pan as you need it. Making sure that the pan is very hot as you begin each batch. Set aside in a warm place.
In the same frying pan cook the onions with the garlic, tomato paste, stock powder, paprika and mushrooms until the onions are translucent.
Add the water and beef and simmer for 5 minutes.
Stir through the sour cream and parsley.
Serve on steaming hot fettucine or rice.
- When you slice the rump steak for this dish, make sure that you slice thin slices across the grain of the meat so it is tender.
- If you pay attention to the method of this dish, the meat should melt in your mouth without being cooked for a long period of time.
- Beef and mushroom stroganoff
- Beef and vegetable dinner
- Beef casserole with a hint of sweet
- Beef marinade
- Beef rice paper rolls
- Beef skewers with peanut sauce
- Chilli beef with choy sum
- Crockpot beef stew
- Fast beef stroganoff
- Peppered beef and vegetables
- Spicy beef and rice fajitas
This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.